Graphics card question.... Why not NVidia?

More
29 Nov 2010 03:20 #5711 by AdamL
I have an old Pentium III Dell computer that I am going to use to run EMC for a Tree Mill. It has an NVidia TNT graphics card in it. I have read in the Getting Started manual that NVidia cards are not recommended. Why do they caution so strongly about not using these graphics cards? Is it that these cards with their propritary cards haven't been "cracked"?........ or is it these cards call for too many interupts and hurt the latentcy? I see that NVidia has Linux drivers for some of their newer cards on their website. Should I give this card a try or just get something that is guaranteed to work? What is a good cheap graphics card that works?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2010 12:46 #5720 by BigJohnT
I would run the latency test for an extended period of time with the hardware you have. If it is satisfactory then don't worry about it. NVidia cards do have a bad reputation in the Linux world I think due to proprietary drivers, but I think that is less of an issue with modern distros like Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04. You might have better luck with 8.04 on older hardware. The easiest thing to do is pop the LiveCD in the drive and turn it on and see if it works.

John

More
02 Dec 2010 09:09 #5813 by Woody
I've got NVIDIA Riva TNT2 64 card which is on the list of not specifically supported, but works OK with 10.04 and I can get the GLXgears up and smooth. Only thing is the PC is quite slow navigating and reading (viewing) files (like PDF) or opening just simple software like gedit. Much slower than with Win2K. Maybe HDD driver issue as CPU load is very low?

I've tried to load 71.86.14 NVIDIA legacy driver for this card but after getting very close, fails. Probably the most user unfriendly driver experience I've faced! But, not that bothered. EMC2 works fine, perfect waveforms coming out the back and can load and run large g-codes no problem with clear responsive display on my fairly old P4 1.7gHz.

I'd suggest give 10.04 and your card a try. May work out the box.

Woody.

More
02 Dec 2010 15:06 #5815 by AdamL
I am pretty sure the card I is a TNT something or other. ( I don't know off hand.) I am going give it a try once a get a chance to burn the Live CD.

PS
When you burn the live CD Is there any fancy formatting that goes on or is it just a matter of getting the files onto the CD?

Adam

More
02 Dec 2010 17:52 #5818 by Woody
I use CDBurnerXP Pro3 (free) and "burn ISO to disc" and no other settings. I think all the info needed about bootable CD is in the ISO.

Woody.

More
02 Dec 2010 18:07 #5819 by AdamL
Is there anything special that needs to be done to create a bootable CD or do you just plop the files onto the CD?

More
03 Dec 2010 00:58 #5824 by andypugh
You need to copy the iso as an image, not as a bunch of files. The iso format specifies a lot more than the file contents.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds