latency test crash

More
05 Sep 2009 21:13 - 05 Sep 2009 21:14 #780 by edwardvmills
hi,
thank you for your work, and i hope my issue won't waste to much of your time:

when running ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso live (no install), i can play around in ubuntu and emc, even run back plotted gcode in a simulator, but when i run the latency test, no window appears, and after a moment, the whole system hangs.

my mobo is AMD 790FX chipset based MSI K9A2 Platinum. (some built-in overclocking, no clue what it is i should be looking to turn off)

I have read different parts of the docs with varying degrees of understanding, but i don't recall seeing much about problems this early on in the process (ie, i don't even have a latency number).

any help much appreciated (which specific M should i RTF out of? section numbers a plus)

thanks,
ed
Last edit: 05 Sep 2009 21:14 by edwardvmills.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2009 02:54 #783 by edwardvmills
Replied by edwardvmills on topic Re:latency test crash
same issue whether using the ubuntu menu to click latency test or typed in terminal. ACPI on/off makes no difference. Dynamic Oveclocking was disabled by default in BIOS.

More
07 Sep 2009 03:50 - 07 Sep 2009 03:52 #785 by edwardvmills
hmmm.....found this At mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai/2009-August/021939.html :(bad link, follow by hand, mailing list archives)

> Helo everyone. I've successful installed RTAI 3.7.1 in a DELL Power Edge
> R410 with a Xeon Quad Core E5506, using a CentOS 5.3 X86_64. The kernel
> version is 2.6.23 vanilla with patch hal-linux-2.6.23-x86_64-1.4-03.patch.
> The thing is that whenever a try to run the latency test, the system
> completely hangs, needing a manual reboot to be performed. I've other
> systems running rtai just fine, but i just cant get it through with this.
> Any ideas? The .config file for my kernel compilation is attached with
> this
> message, because i think that there is some RTAI killer being compiled,
> but
> i dont know what. At least i checked the most classic ones. Any thoughts
> would be a great help.
> Thanks in advance.
>

Begin by disabling Power manag. and HPET. If you need to enable ACPI do
just that and nothing below it.

but i don't know if it fixed his problem. so far my bios meddling has had no effect, so i don't know if it's /facepalm@me or just plain incompatible hardware.

Is the version used by the gentleman above similar to the one in the current ubuntu live combo? is emc's latency test the built in rtai latency test?
Last edit: 07 Sep 2009 03:52 by edwardvmills. Reason: bad link

More
07 Sep 2009 12:43 #790 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:latency test crash
One suggestion from the IRC is to raise your base thread.

John

More
07 Sep 2009 22:05 #791 by edwardvmills
thank you for the response.
so...this is the rt os base thread you're referring to right? I understand what you mean in principle, but i have only encountered the term in EMC docs (hal or ini).
Is this something that can be passed as an argument to the latency-test command, or does the test always refer to a specific EMC setup? the instruction to not run EMC during the test led me to believe that it was fairly stand alone.

wherever the change applies....is this something i can try in live mode without installing?

SIDE NOTE:
I'm still at the very first stage here, and i was hoping that i could play around with my current workstation to learn the system. The intent was always for the future actual system to have a dedicated controller pc.

Since my workstation doesn't seem to be a friendly sandbox for EMC, i'm thinking about just going ahead and building the final controller pc, and hopefully my problems there will be more mundane.

Which leads to the next problem.....and my post in hardware/computer/"pc hardware sources"

More
08 Sep 2009 12:33 #798 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:latency test crash
If your not going to run a machine on that computer I would not even run a latency test.

John

More
08 Sep 2009 20:43 #803 by edwardvmills
If your not going to run a machine on that computer I would not even run a latency test.

John

i get your point, but what i meant to say was that i would have liked to play around on this computer all to way to wiring steppers drivers and motors, possibly even loading the relay logic and hooking up some breadboards with leds, switches and whatnot (to get a feel I/O).

i had hoped that perhaps i could hold off on the dedicated controller until a ways down the road. Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds