Will this be a good choice to run EMC2 on?

More
07 Apr 2011 12:14 #8670 by Meduza
I have gotten a few Intel rack mounted servers for free, and wonder if you think this is a good option to run EMC2 on for my mill and my lathe?

The servers are of this series and have processors at about 2,8Ghz and 2gb RAM.
www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/e...-e/feature/index.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2011 12:40 - 07 Apr 2011 12:41 #8672 by BigJohnT
Load the LiveCD and run the latency test to see...

Also you might want to check to see if they meet the minimum requirements for Ubuntu... a quick google will find that page.

John
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 12:41 by BigJohnT.

More
07 Apr 2011 13:15 #8674 by andypugh
I have an Intel rackmount on my mill/lathe combo. It works fine, but does need the SMI patch applying to avoid a latency spike every 64 seconds.

Mine is a different model (with dual original xeons) so you might find you have no issues, or different ones.

More
08 Apr 2011 07:58 - 08 Apr 2011 08:00 #8693 by Meduza
Minimum requirements shouldn't be a problem, as i said the processor is over 2,5Ghz, RAM over 1GB and hard drives is at least 74GB UltraSCSI320 10k drives, so so that should not be a problem either, and it got a graphics output capable of 1024x768, no probs, it also got a real paralell port and a PCI slot where i can put one more or maybe a MESA card.

I have not been able to move any of the computers home to test out, they are right now stacked on a pallet in a friends workshop.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 08:00 by Meduza.

More
08 Apr 2011 09:07 #8694 by andypugh
Meduza wrote:

Minimum requirements shouldn't be a problem, .

Minimum requirements are rarely a problem, EMC2 runs on very modest hardware. The problem is that even very high-end hardware can often have latency problems.
Unfortunately the only way to really know is to run the latency tests from the LiveCD and test.

More
08 Apr 2011 12:28 #8702 by Meduza
OK, i'll guess i just have to take one home in next week and try to install EMC2 and run the latency test then :)

The Minimum requirements was a answer to BigJohnT's comment about checking the minimum requirements.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds