EMC2 doesn't recongnize M98 & M99

More
08 Sep 2011 20:11 #13054 by gridley
I am using BobCAD to generate my G-code programs. The G-code uses subroutines and the M98 & M99 commands. EMC2 does not recognize these commands. I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2011 21:24 #13055 by BigJohnT
If you have a legal copy of BobCrap (I'm sorry I had it once) then contact them for the EMC post processor.

John

More
10 Sep 2011 14:25 #13085 by gridley
John,

What program would you suggest I use for the G-code generation?

Thanks,

Tim

More
10 Sep 2011 15:16 #13086 by BigJohnT
You should be able to download the EMC post from Bobcad... if you have a license for your copy.

I'd use almost anything other that that, but that is my humble opinion. And it all just depends on what your doing, ie what kind of parts are you making?

John

More
11 Sep 2011 12:58 #13102 by gridley
John,

I have a Shoptask that I have put steppers on and use EMC2 to drive it. I only do hobby type work. Parts for the RV, I am building a Galloway 1/4 scale hit n' miss, I machined some custom hinges for a new flat panel TV in my motorhome, I made some LED blinking fishing lures. That kind of stuff.

I found a solution to the problem. I can tell BobCad to not use subroutines. I am still curious why EMC2 doesn't use the M98 & M99 G-codes. When I search the internet that seems to be pretty common.

As far as BobCad is concerned it seems to work OK for me. I have been able to do most of what I want. I do have a liscensed copy. I have been very unhappy with the support I get from them. When I called them about this problem they tried to sell me a $249 support package before they would answer my question. I didn't buy it and they wouldn't help.

From the tone of your posts, it appears you are not sold on BobCad. Any suggestions of what software I should look at?

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

More
11 Sep 2011 13:36 #13104 by BigJohnT
Tim,

I still get junk mail from Bobcad after telling them for a few years to quit. I never could get Bobcad to output useful g code. Bobcad's high pressure sales team is some piece of work when it comes to pressuring you to upgrade... I guess I need to change my e-mail at work to stop getting crap from them. And Bobcad was my first bad experience with the CNC world... back when I knew nothing. Now I know more but can't remember it all. You should be able to go to the Bobcad download page for posts and get an EMC post processor. I made them do that when I first got into Bobcad. I just checked and they do have an EMC post processor for all versions. What version are you using?

www.bobcad.com/downloads/post-processors

EMC2 does use G98/99 but it might not be what the Bobcad post is using it for.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode_main.html#sub:G98,-G99:-Set

For normal (not artsy fartsy) stuff I'd look at using subroutines with ngcgui. I don't have a mill using EMC yet (two to convert as time allows) but have a lathe running EMC. I find for normal things I just fill in the blanks for a subroutine and I'm off and cutting. Take a peek in the Subroutines section here.

For CAM I use OneCNC, the UI is a bit clunky but outputs good (not great) g-code. Heekscad (free) seems to be making some headway and can do waterline machining and runs on Ubuntu. I've managed to get it installed but not figured it out yet.

John

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds