g-code optimization for mass production

More
16 Nov 2011 19:03 #14878 by nicubila
Hi anyone

new (and quite inexperienced) to EMC2, I have a question related to the optimization of the g-code for mass production. I have a router that will basically run same 5-6 files depending on the demand i have for each model. What i intend to do is to get an optimized g-code so that the working time for my operations is the shortest.
I refer here to the order of the cuts - for example with artcam and mach3 the traveling times were very long and useless, adding a lot of time.
Unless anyone can suggest a CAM software that optimizes for EMC2, is there a possibility at least to manually select the order of the cuts? i have about 50, and i think i can manually select them in the best order for the least travel.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2011 19:13 #14880 by BigJohnT
You can manually edit the g code to optimize it. Many do that after CAM software does it's thing. The only thing that might give you trouble is if you select an arc and move it and the start point is no longer correct...

John

More
16 Nov 2011 23:30 #14883 by phidauex
The V-carve suite of CAM packages from Vectric let you manually define the machining order when you run a toolpath that has many vectors selected. Whether the package meets your needs in general is up to you, but I use and am happy with the V-carve Pro package for my CNC router.

-Sam

More
19 Nov 2011 20:36 #14953 by spesmek
I use Qcad and CAM Expert and can manualy reorder entitys in the draving before making the g-code.

Regards Bjorn.

More
20 Nov 2011 03:59 #14957 by doug6949
The programs I use repeatedly were initially generated with CAM but are very heavily edited. Since I don't use CAM daily I find it easier to manually optimize the code than figure out how to get the software to do it for me.

Re-ordering operations to speed things up is mostly just cut-n-paste. Fine tuning the toolpath requires an understanding of feeds and speeds (chip load), step-over, depth of cut, and tool geometry. Even the best CAM software expects you to supply this information.

Doug

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds