Newbie question about tool offsets

More
11 Jan 2012 18:41 #16606 by garymcrobertpdx
This is surely a newbie question but now that my machine is starting to be usable
I now need to get my G code skills together

So I have used the touch off tool to set the user G54 coordinate system such
that my vice back and side edges are x0 y0 and my work piece top is z0 when
tool #1 center drill is touching.

Do I repeat the touch off process for tool #2 and etcetera? Each tools offset being
recorded in a var table in the bowls of EMC2? I assume the tool table is partly
for the convenience of the human operator and is not the offset table.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2012 23:13 #16624 by BigJohnT
If you can change tools without loosing Z offset for the tool then you can number them and use the manual tool change. Otherwise you can just touch off the Z in G54 if you don't use tool diameter compensation.

One trick I use is to place a 1/2" dowel on the material top and lower the tool tip below the top of the dowel and as I raise the tool up press the dowel between the tool and the work piece and just as it rolls under the tool stop and set my Z offset to 0.500" (if I used a 1/2" dowel). This works fast and easy and no chance of damage to your cutting edge as your moving away from the work piece as you gauge.

The tool table is a place to store tool information for cutter comp and when you have automatic tool changers or as mentioned above manual with repeatability on Z... collets don't work well for this only tool holders like Cat, BT, QC etc.

John

More
11 Jan 2012 23:14 #16625 by BigJohnT
The only thing you need to repeat is the Z normally, also when first starting after touching off jog to a position and double check that the position on the DRO matches what you expect it to be...

John

More
11 Jan 2012 23:16 #16626 by BigJohnT
Oh bother, I forgot to mention my other time saver for X location. I put a dowel in the spindle and move the X to 1/2 the diameter of the dowel farther than I want the left edge to be and lower the Z down then slide the material up to the dowel and lock the vise down. You can set the X offset at the same time if it is not the usual X0.

John

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds