"Emacs Lisp source code" ?

More
19 May 2012 16:47 #20227 by grey1beard
I've been creating some G-code in Gedit, and I've just noticed that, while most of my files saved as .ngc are listed in my folder type column as "plain text document", some are now appearing as "Emacs Lisp source code".

They seem to appear in Axis with no observable problem, and soon I shall be trying them on the mc.
However, I'd like to know where this behaviour is coming from, as I still create my files in exactly the same way as before, and always work from scratch, typing the code straight in, and saving as .ngc .

Can anyone enlighten me ?
Thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2012 02:43 #20232 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:
Gedit is a graphical interface to emacs, I think. And, the emacs editor is written in Lisp.
There is no directory field that tells the type of a file, so some file browsers
and other utilities look at the first line or so of a file to determine type. I'm
guessing maybe something in your G-code initialization line looks like
lisp and causes this quirk. Maybe your fist line has parentheses in it?
(Lisp has LOADS of parens in its code.)

Jon

More
20 May 2012 14:53 #20235 by grey1beard
Thanks Jon, your deduction was spot on.
I often put a commented out text at the beginning of a file describing the contents before I have entered any code.
As I had to edit it further down, I also moved the comments down, behind my usual first line of
G17 G21 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90 G94
and saved the file with a new name. Sure enough, it was saved as a plain text file.

Respect,

John

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds