Open source G-Code Editor/Generator

More
31 May 2012 19:07 - 31 May 2012 19:37 #20534 by samtom
Hi everybody,

I've found lots of napking rings in the attic of my parents. But they look so "unkind" that my wife wanted to throw them away. Now I've considered to engraved them with different ornaments in the hope to change her opinion.

I just start to learn the ropes of linuxCNC. For this I am looking for a g-code editor/generator that can edit myself. I want to keep the program as simple as possible. I do not like generators with superfluous features. A simple generator will do. Only with a button to load a ornament, a button the choice of plain or convex (here I must enter the attributes like diameter, width and height of the convex napkin ring) calculation and a button to generate and save the g-code.

Or is it possible to integrate this feature into emc? Load the g-code, activate the convex modus with a button, enter als attributes (diameter, width and height) and start the engraving... That would be awesome.

For a better understanding I have atteched simply models from the web.

Is here someone who has experinece for this problem or can help me?

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2012 19:37 by samtom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2012 21:07 #20539 by BigJohnT
Have you looked at the g code generators on the wiki? One of those might work...

John

More
01 Jun 2012 12:21 #20557 by andypugh
samtom wrote:

I just start to learn the ropes of linuxCNC. For this I am looking for a g-code editor/generator that can edit myself.

Compound curved surfaces like that are not particularly easy to do. The page that John linked to has something to produce text, though.

This might sound a bit strange, but the simplest way to proceed might be to create 2D G-code and then add the Z axis using a spreadsheet.
(split the X and Y moves into columns, calculate a Z column, and re-assemble to paste into a text editor)

More
02 Jun 2012 19:06 #20612 by grey1beard
Have you had the hall marks that they carry identified ?
You say you have found "lots" so they are presumably sets.
I know nothing about silver, or its potential value, but the idea of engraving over what may be important examples of other craftsman's work fills me with horror.

John

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds