rotational offset to jog keys

More
28 Mar 2013 04:24 #31984 by strykerg
i use my lathe a lot in manual mode by using the keyboards arrow keys. is it possible to create a rotational offset so that when i move forward in x the lathe feeds in at an angle? something similar to g10 l2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 20:12 #31994 by andypugh
I don't think it is. The G10 rotation is about the Z axis.

You might find something like my semi-manual lathe to be more convenient:
www.bodgesoc.org/lathe/lathe.html
Though I need to update the subroutines posted there, as they don't take any notice of the "angle" spinbox, which is what you need.

One advantage of this over manual jogging is that is can automatically do multiple passes, so you can walk away and do something else.

A typical sequence of events for me:
home
T1 button (load Tool 1)
jog to just short of the end of the work.
Touch off to +0.5mm
set target Z to 0, target X to -1
press the "Facing" button.
Set target Z to -20 (for example). Set target X to 1mm more than desired diamter.
press "Turning". It will take as many passes as needed, The final X move is to programmed dia
When it finishes, measure the actual diameter. Touch off X to the measurement.
Set the actual desired diameter in the box
press "Turning" again.

With my current subroutines both boring and turning follow the "angle" box.
"Radius" is only used by the turning sub (for a run-out) and the radius button.

Most routines start from the jogged-to position and end at the X and Y from the spinboxes. Radius and chamfer don't, they start from the (X.Y) corner of the work.
Threading starts from current Z, but starts threading at spinbox X, then finishes at the spinbox depth.

For most things I make I don't write G-code, I just create the part step-by-step like you would by hand, except I don't need to stand there twiddling knobs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: strykerg

More
28 Mar 2013 21:34 #31997 by strykerg
that's a pretty neat setup you have there I will definitely put that in my ui straight away :)

I hope I manage to set it up. the few gui buttons I made were done with glade

what I actually wanted to do is turn a pulley but not plunging with a tool shaped like the pulley... something like this: www.green-trust.org/junkyardprojects/Fre...ingV-BeltPulleys.pdf
I could always put my lazy arse on the pc and write some code for the pulley :) but I really like your setup thanks for that it will definitely make my life easier

More
29 Mar 2013 06:36 #32013 by BigJohnT
If you had a MPG you could set the scale of X and Z jog and get any angle you want...

John

More
29 Mar 2013 16:03 #32026 by Rick G

i move forward in x the lathe feeds in at an angle? something similar to g10 l2?

That might come in handy, but I only use jogging to set a touch off position.
You might want to look at ngcgui.
There are samples of subs for the lathe including ID taper and OD taper, just punch a few numbers and or an angle, set the depth of cut per pass and let the computer do the work.

Rick G

More
29 Mar 2013 18:32 - 29 Mar 2013 18:33 #32035 by BigJohnT
Like Rick said ngcgui and some subs and I do 95% of my ops like that on my lathe.

I have most of my subs on my web site.

gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge.xhtml

John
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 18:33 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: strykerg

More
29 Mar 2013 19:26 #32039 by strykerg

If you had a MPG you could set the scale of X and Z jog and get any angle you want...

John

i do have an mpg. could you explain how to do this?

i installed Andy's subs and they work great. John the ones you linked also look very useful i will try and find some time to try them

More
29 Mar 2013 19:54 #32041 by BigJohnT
Basically you enable both axis jogs to cut at say 45 degree angle the scale for each axis would be the same.

Take a look at the MPG example in the manual:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/mpg.html

See the part where the switch enables each axis if you added some and's and used the third position to enable both you would have a 45 cut.

John

More
29 Mar 2013 20:45 #32042 by andypugh

i installed Andy's subs and they work great. John the ones you linked also look very useful i will try and find some time to try them

ngcgui is in many ways a better solution than my way. You get a preview and can string a bunch of things together to make a complete program.

I have updated the ngc files at www.bodgesoc.org/lathe/lathe.html so that turning now takes note of the angle request.

More
30 Mar 2013 12:22 #32088 by strykerg
thanks to both of you this is some seriously useful info you gave me. now i just need to put everything together.

do you think that if i rewrite the ui with glade it would solve the problem where spinboxes value is not registered when manually entered? (as you mentioned its annoying having to press up and down after entering a value)

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds