Spindle RPM Cap

More
21 May 2013 01:33 #34460 by SRT
Spindle RPM Cap was created by SRT
This is a general G96 D, S question. We have remote push buttons for feed hold and spindle stop on our lathes. In G96 mode the machine starts up and operates just fine applying the G96 Code. We have found that if we hit Feed Hold stop the spindle and re-start the spindle it seems to ramp up the the capped spindle speed and not the rpm it was cutting at when feed hold was applied.

Any Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2013 02:26 #34462 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Spindle RPM Cap
Looks like we lose the constant surface speed but it reads the value of the S portion of the G96 line in the code.

EX G96 D1000 S600

Hit feedhold, spindle stop, spindle restart and cycle start spindle and program resume but at 600 RPM for the rest of the program

More
21 May 2013 03:49 #34465 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Spindle RPM Cap
Sounds like stopping the spindle is a queue buster for CSS.

JT

More
21 May 2013 04:02 #34466 by SRT
I don't suppose there are any ways to work around this that anybody knows of?

More
21 May 2013 04:05 #34467 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Spindle RPM Cap
You might back up to the start of the cut and run from line if it is not in a subroutine.

JT

More
21 May 2013 04:18 #34469 by SRT
We can do that but in long or large roughing cycles it is a time waster, watching air cuts drives me nuts as a business owner. There are times when the insert may need changed in the middle of a roughing cycle.

More
21 May 2013 08:40 #34481 by Zahnrad Kopf
Replied by Zahnrad Kopf on topic Spindle RPM Cap

We can do that but in long or large roughing cycles it is a time waster, watching air cuts drives me nuts as a business owner. There are times when the insert may need changed in the middle of a roughing cycle.

+1 This is another one of those fairly standard things in the Real World™.

More
21 May 2013 20:40 #34497 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spindle RPM Cap

Looks like we lose the constant surface speed but it reads the value of the S portion of the G96 line in the code.
EX G96 D1000 S600
Hit feedhold, spindle stop, spindle restart and cycle start spindle and program resume but at 600 RPM for the rest of the program

So, it switches from 600 ft/min to 600rpm when you feed-hold?

Can you confirm where the buttons are wired up to?
I can try it on my machine. As that is metric this is likely to have it going from 45 m/min to 45rpm, which I am not sure the VFD can even handle...

More
21 May 2013 21:14 #34500 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Spindle RPM Cap
Hello Andy,

I have the buttons on the machine hooked to halui.spindle.start and halui.spindle.stop through ladder, with the program is paused output bit as a permission, so they can't stop unless the program is paused.

Correct, when we hit feedhold, then spindle stop, measure the part, check finish (whatever they needed to do) then hit spindle re-start, and then program restart/un-pause, the spindle starts back up at whatever the S value is in the G96 command, not at whatever calculated value it should be at for the corresponding diameter the tooltip is at, and it stays at that speed until the next tool call/spindle command.

Just thinking out loud, what do think it would do if we just hit program restart/un-pause and skipped the spindle re-start?

Thanks

Rick

More
21 May 2013 21:39 #34502 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spindle RPM Cap

Just thinking out loud, what do think it would do if we just hit program restart/un-pause and skipped the spindle re-start?

I don't know, it might be interesting to test when cutting air.

An alternative, if you are in feed-per-rev mode is to turn the spindle override down to zero. That should stop all motion too.
Though I don't really like the idea of doing things on the machine in that situation, with it all poised to move again.

Something I have never tried is turning the chuck backwards in that scenario. I wonder if the tool backs-off? I suspect not.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds