Horizontal Spindle on 3 Axis

More
24 Jun 2014 23:43 #48231 by terans1085
Hi!

I have recently implemented LinuxCNC on a 3 axis woodworking cnc router with multiple spindles.

For the vertical spindle, operation is normal using gcode however the machine is also equipped with a couple of horizontal spindles used to bore horizintally into the sides of the workpiece.

How would you guys go about achieving this? Is there a simple way to 'rotate' the coordinate system temporarily about the X or Y axis? This could be handy so gcode for the vertical spindle can be also used with the horizontal ones.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2014 00:01 #48244 by alan_3301
I don't know if this is possible or would even work.
Maybe when the horizontal spindle is used, a script can swap pins between X and Z step and direction pins.
Then changed back when a vertical tool is used.

I don't know if you can do that on the fly or not, or put it in with a toolchange command, but it seems like it may work.

More
26 Jun 2014 07:05 #48249 by andypugh

How would you guys go about achieving this? Is there a simple way to 'rotate' the coordinate system temporarily about the X or Y axis?

You can create separate configs that allocate different motors to the axes, but you need to stop LinuxCNC and restart to do that.

Do the spindles move up and down? You could use W for the horizontal spindle height then cut in X and Y with them.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds