Image to G-Code conversion question ?

More
24 Apr 2011 20:30 #9303 by sherif.taher
Hi,

EMC has the ability to read in GIF files and convert to g-code, I can't find a comprehensive reference about using but I have a simple question.

I tried importing a very simple share (a square), the GIF image has only two colors, white and black. The border is black, EMC converted to a g-code of engraving the square, now what are the options to just score the borders of the square? I don't want any milling inside the shape ?

I'm trying to get some simple shapes from image files and score them off some sheets

thanks
Sherif

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2011 20:36 - 24 Apr 2011 20:37 #9304 by BigJohnT
Image to G Code was not designed to just cut the borders of shapes. AFAIK it will cut the entire image only.

It would be a simple task to just write the g-code to cut a square.

And there is not much more info than is in the docs that I know of for image to g code. I assume you read the docs? You might look on the wiki site there might be something there too.

John
Last edit: 24 Apr 2011 20:37 by BigJohnT.

More
25 Apr 2011 15:45 #9309 by sherif.taher
square was just a test case I created, but it seems that a better alternative is if I can get the shapes in DXF then convert to gcode

More
26 Apr 2011 10:27 #9325 by andypugh
You could try G-code tools for Inkscape too (in comjunction with Inkscapes image-tracing).
www.cnc-club.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35&start=0

But don't ignore the possibility of simply writing G-code by hand. As EMC2 G-code can include loops and conditional statements it is pretty powerful.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds