How do I get into Source Code for EMC2 and Axis?

More
06 Mar 2010 20:15 #2215 by Highlander01
Hello,

I am wanting to learn how to open EMC2 and Axis source code so that I can look and learn how it works and maybe some day do some editing.

I am assuming it is all open source... What software do I use to do looking and editing of the source code.

The source code I believe I can get at git.linuxcnc.org.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 20:58 #2218 by Highlander01
What cand be used for editing/developing the source software GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection?

gcc.gnu.org/

More
06 Mar 2010 21:07 #2219 by acemi
Any text editor can be used.
gedit, vim, kwrite etc.

I prefer vim

More
21 Mar 2010 05:01 #2392 by Highlander01
I downloaded the source and have looked at some of it.

gedit has been good for looking.

Now, how do I get at the Axis interface? In one of the manuals it states it is written in python and the user interface uses tk and opengl.

I found the following 3 sites which I think have the development software:
Which versions should be used though? Once I get development software loaded, which files in which folder has axis source?
Is there a developers guide on this some where?

www.opengl.org/

www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/downloadnow81.tml

www.python.org/download/

More
21 Mar 2010 17:03 #2401 by cmorley
look in the folder named something like this:

/home/chester/emc2-dev/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts
there is no guide just the source code.
What are you trying to do?

More
27 Mar 2010 16:52 #2462 by Highlander01
I would like to take the AXIS Gui interface and get it to feed lines of GCode thru USB to an Arduino Mega Board. I still want to know what is going on though and would like for AXIS to display it.

I am tinkering when I can fit some time in. My CNC code on the Arduino is currently coming from Simen Grbl on Git Hub with slight adjustments. I am also looking at CNC code from EMC2 and RStepperControl from Reza's Rants. When I am done it maybe a mix. I will also be trying to work jointly with the resources I mention when I get up to speed.

More
05 Apr 2010 02:32 - 05 Apr 2010 02:35 #2515 by Highlander01
When I run axis.tcl file from a "wish axis.tcl" call it gets stuck at line 47 with an invalid command error on: _"_Open..."

Line 47:
setup_menu_accel . menu.file end [_ "_Open..."]

Is there a bit of interaction going on with other files and programs to get this to work? Newer version function?

The part above is some TK GUI dealing with getting menu bars going.

I am still learning, I made it thru hello world tutorials in Python, TCL, and TK.
(They are a little bit different then Visual Basic.)

Arduino USB Update: I have moved my x-axis around using usb to arduino.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2010 02:35 by Highlander01.

More
20 Apr 2010 15:04 #2636 by Highlander01
Update On Progress

I have gone thru a few more tutorials and I am piecing together a simple USB Axis version of my own that can send data to an Arduino board with Simen grbl cnc code on it. Still have a lot to learn though.

Using python I have figured out how to:
- do serial usb reads of data that is coming from an Arduino board. Writes should not be to diffcult to figure out.
- do OpenGL 3D graphic program where I can draw and rotate things
- do text editor where I can open edit and save files.

I think I now have the basic components figured out. Next I need to put the parts together and do some text string processing on files.

(I am not using much of the emc axis code yet. It is pretty big and I had a hard time finding my way around last time I looked at it. Maybe later.)

More
01 Jun 2010 04:32 #3052 by Highlander01
Status Update:

I now have most of the basics put together and have a close.... to functional CNC version with USB-Arduino-Python-wxPython-Opengl- & slightly modified SimonGrbl. If any one is interested I can post code and some screen shots. I think I can do it here some how. Let me know.

Recent updates: manual moves work now. I can open gcode files and draw and rotate them around about. I can step thru gcode files. I can also run them if the moves are not a bunch of small moves. I think I have extra junk with USB comms doing a bunch of reading and writing that might mess up small moves. This will be cleaned up soon. Need to cut down on the informational reads and writes I was doing during testing. Can do some more storage too.

Other detail I will clean up on... there is a small delay when I do rotation on dwg. I redraw whole image in python. Maybe I do not need to do this and only need to do rotate call??

Goal is to now clean up these smaller details to make this a good system.

(I am also starting to think about a next python software project. It should be fairly easy to make a python program that would convert dxf and other files to gcode and draw up nice 3d images. I am sort of curious that LinuxCNC.org has not done something already.)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds