How do I get into Source Code for EMC2 and Axis?

More
01 Jun 2010 12:50 #3057 by andypugh
A bit late in the day to point this out, but have you seen:
axis.unpy.net/01198594294

?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2010 21:47 #3060 by Highlander01
I think I have looked at the blog or similar related information before mentioned at: axis.unpy.net/01198594294

From what I can see it is only i/o connections over serial.

The code I am using from Simen Grbl has all of the control on the Arduino Board. Motion code control and timing etc.
github.com/simen/grbl/

Python interface I am building does 3D drawing and user friendly functions that basically sends gcodes to Simen Grbl code on arduino and the Simen code on Arduino runs it.

I tried modifying EMC/Axis as a starting/learning point but got lost. It was easier to start from scratch and create a new interface.

More
15 Aug 2010 17:28 #3764 by Highlander01
Status Update: I have finished my first basic version of a USB CNC Python HMI/GUI Program that works with a slightly modified version of Simen Grbl Arduino code at github.
- USB Handshaking has been added between Python and Arduino to make sure complete gcode lines get sent back and forth.
- Python program also uses OpenGL to graphically display gcode file image.
- Testing so far, the program has ran a gear tooth file with 3200 lines of code successfully, no hang ups etc.

Code is located at: github.com/Highlander01/Highlander01HMI

More
28 Dec 2010 22:28 #6293 by Highlander01
I am interested in RTOS (real time operating system) aspect of EMC2/Axis code. For EMC2/Axis I believe RTLinux is being used as the RTAI. Is RTAI the same thing as a RTOS? Ex Pulsing for stepper motor timing. Where is this code, which files and programs in EMC2/Axis do the work? Is it Python code or something else?

I am interested in latency aspects etc... I would like to think I could take a newer faster multi core computer and get some great performance.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?RealTime

(I did some looking to see what else is out there and I found INTime By TenAsys as an RTOS that takes adavantage of multi core processing. Any comments?)

More
29 Dec 2010 00:19 #6296 by BigJohnT
You can download the source code from this page

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2

The speed of the processor usually has no effect on latency but rather hardware that "steals" time from the processor like laptop power saving etc.

One of the best latency's I've seen is on the little D510MO Atom motherboard

John

More
29 Dec 2010 15:54 #6313 by Highlander01
I was looking at the atoms also. I am thinking I will get a Intel atom D525MW. I am guessing that will perform the same as a 510.

(Is there any specific files in the source to look at regarding Real Time, RTLinux, and stepper pulsing.)

More
29 Dec 2010 20:34 #6317 by andypugh
The Realtime code is not part of the EMC2 source package, but should be obtainable from rtai.org.

There is a library of realtime functions that are supposed to work with rtai or rt linux or in simulaiton mode in src/rtapi

Step generation is in src/hal/components/stepgen.c

The key to it all is the realtime threads, to which functions are attached. Have a look at src/hal/components/threads.c for some code that creates threads.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds