tool table / touch off problem

More
19 Jul 2012 06:44 #22169 by garylogan
hello,
I have a lathe that I have been using axis, emc2 (2.4.3) in 10.0.04 on and everything has worked in the past.
Having some problems and wanted to throw it out for possible help/comments.
I noticed problems with using the tool table, such as having to re-do it (change #'s again, like it wouldn't take them after touch off) and reload it several times as well.
That is all semi-workable but lately I can't even get it to do a "touch off" in AXIS.
I keep getting the error "Must be in MDI mode to issue MDI command".
Every once in a random while it will take my touch off, though.

If I try to do a G54 touch off (in manual mode) it will say that.
If I try to do a Tool Table touch off it will give the error twice.
Today I updated to version 2.5 of linuxCNC and it didn't change much.

I have added a few python buttons (T6 tool change buttons, rapid to home button, spindle speed button) but this was a long time ago and it worked with all that stuff last summer.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2012 14:52 #22196 by BigJohnT
Are you using the touch off button on the manual control tab to touch off with or your custom buttons?

John

More
19 Jul 2012 18:51 #22220 by garylogan
I'm using the touch off button on the manual control tab.

More
19 Jul 2012 22:26 #22229 by BigJohnT
This is puzzling as if your in run mode or paused the touch off button is not enabled.

Did you follow the instructions here for upgrading from 2.4.x to 2.5?

You might want to run a memtest from the Ubuntu boot up menu.

John

More
21 Jul 2012 04:58 #22261 by garylogan
It's getting worse, now I cant even execute an MDI command (definitely in MDI mode) and could yesterday. It absolutely will not reload my tool table no matter what, and would in the past.
Yeah, I did the upgrade and all for 10.04 lucid. Did a restart too.
I am probably going to just start over, with a different computer.
I noticed that the software seems to "hang" or freeze up sometimes when I switch from Manual to MDI mode. Maybe there is some quirk about this motherboard or onboard graphics/etc...who knows.
I thought this computer would be plenty good, my friend runs his (emc2) on a pentium 3. When I get time I will try this other one I have, thanks for reading my posts and responding. Have a nice day.

More
21 Jul 2012 12:01 #22266 by BigJohnT
Did you run the latency test for an extended period of time? It does sound computer related to me.

John

More
21 Jul 2012 12:12 #22267 by ArcEye
Hi

Yeah, I did the upgrade and all for 10.04 lucid. Did a restart too.

Have you tried 8.04 on this computer?

I would not even attempt to use 10.04 on a P3, both my workshop computers are P4s and work far better with 8.04, but still run Linuxcnc 2.5
(latency 9,300 base thread compared to over 30,000 with 10.04)

regards

More
03 Sep 2012 18:12 - 04 Sep 2012 00:42 #23863 by garylogan
Just to be clear, the computer I was using is a single core Opteron, not a bad machine--just built 2 years ago. Budget processor but newer. It ran AXIS just fine at first but got slower and slower, eventually just wouldn't even switch to or from MDI mode. (The P3 I was referring to was a co-workers router.)

I have switched to 8.04, on a different computer (dual-core AMD). On 10.04 it did badly on the jitter test--ran around 10000 mostly but would just spike up to 45000 sometimes. So I went with 8.04, and AXIS seems to be responding better. Haven't spent alot of time with it yet, so I will try moving forward from there.
Right now my problem is that the AXIS window is too big for my monitor, so it is extremely tedious to work on the machine. I need to figure out how to change the display with a smaller font and window, or something. When I used 10.04 I didn't have this problem. It's similar to the problem I see in Windows when the resolution setting is incorrect (humongous window but half of it is off the screen). I'm sure somewhere in this internet the answer can be found!:laugh:

ok after much pain and suffering I did get my screen resolution fixed. Wouldn't let me go above 800x600, this was cutting off the bottom of most of my windows...very important part of a window!
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 00:42 by garylogan. Reason: fixed screen resolution problem

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds