Axis Lathe Simulator

More
23 Jul 2012 21:09 #22357 by BigJohnT
I'm trying to set up the Axis Lathe Simulator to mimic my Hardinge CHCN so I can test run code. The spindle is limited to 2500 RPM and I need 6k... I've looked at all the files and danged if I can figure out where to up the limit. I've found the ramp speed for the spindle and upped it to a reasonable value.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2012 11:43 #22385 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Axis Lathe Simulator
BigJohnT wrote:

I've looked at all the files and danged if I can figure out where to up the limit

Have you looked to see what the limit2.0.max and .min values are? They are initialised to 1e20, but perhaps something else it accidentally writing to them?

More
24 Jul 2012 12:08 #22386 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Axis Lathe Simulator
I do know that limit2.0.maxv controls how fast the spindle revs up. I've played with that and increased how fast the spindle gets up to speed.

I've watched limit2.0.max and min and both stay at 1e+20 and -1e+20... must be some magic somewhere. If I put s2600 m3 in the MDI the speed will ramp up to 2500 on the pyvcp display then go to -25003.6

Thanks
John

More
24 Jul 2012 12:28 #22390 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

I've watched limit2.0.max and min and both stay at 1e+20 and -1e+20... must be some magic somewhere. If I put s2600 m3 in the MDI the speed will ramp up to 2500 on the pyvcp display then go to -25003.6

What does halcmd show motion.spindle-speed-out say (and other related pins). That sounds like something, somewhere, is overflowing a signed-integer. Quite possibly inside PyVCP

More
24 Jul 2012 12:38 - 24 Jul 2012 12:40 #22392 by BigJohnT
In the lathe.xml the halpin spindle-speed has a max of 5000...

S3000 M3 gives me the following.
motion.spindle-speed-in ramps up then goes to -41.72592
motion.spindle-speed-out goes to 3000 instantly or pretty fast.
motion.spindle-speed-cmd-rps = 50
motion.spindle-speed-out-rps = 50

Looks like something is borked with motion.spindle-speed-in which is connected to spindle-rps-filtered signal.

John
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 12:40 by BigJohnT.

More
24 Jul 2012 12:51 #22393 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

Looks like something is borked with motion.spindle-speed-in which is connected to spindle-rps-filtered signal.

That pin is fed from lowpass.0.0ut, but I can't find that. I think it is core_sim.hal but I can't find that at all in gitweb, very strangely.

More
24 Jul 2012 13:10 #22395 by BigJohnT
The more I look at that config I think the problem is trying to use sim-encoder instead of sim-spindle. The sim-encoder might be limited by the servo period... I'm going to try and swap them out in a bit.

John

More
24 Jul 2012 16:14 #22407 by BigJohnT
Yikes, I can't fix the Axis lathe sim as sim_spindle is in master... oh well I'll try it out locally.

John

More
24 Jul 2012 17:04 #22408 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Axis Lathe Simulator
If its any consolation John there is definitely something screwy going on with the lathe sim.

On the 2.5~pre on my test machine it is shown as 0 - 5000 rpm in the pyvcp widget but if you command anything higher than about 800 it goes to -833.7 and stays there.

Believe it or not I have never tried running the spindle for a simulation before, seemed no point, all I was interested in was the tool path plot.

Andys idea about overflowing a signed integer sounds likely, but none of the figures when multiplied by 60 for rps come near the overflow thresholds.

More
24 Jul 2012 18:01 #22411 by BigJohnT
Normally the spindle would be minor but I got the bug when I write a file on my desktop to just be able to run it in the sim and see that the tool path is correct before I send it to the lathe so the spindle commands are there also. I wonder if it has something to do with latency or something. In any case the sim_spindle.comp works perfect.

John

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds