jog-speed value from Axis

More
14 Nov 2012 16:23 #26575 by bjames28
Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a remote pendant. I've external buttons to jog each axis in plus/minus direction. However I have to set the value of halui.jog-speed in HAL file to a fix number, which is not the most convenient way. Nicer would be to take the current jog speed value from Axis, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

I know I can make nice slider/radio buttons is pyVCP for speed setting or make a hw switch to select the speed, but that's not what I want.

Can it be done without changing the Axis program?

Thanks for the advices.

Regards:
James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2012 23:23 #26585 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic jog-speed value from Axis
Hi

Short answer - no.

Axis was never written to support external programs and it uses the emc python library functions to jog and set jog speed, not halui.

The simplest method which involves editing axis might be to read the label of the jog slider.
If the speed never changes, you could read the entry in the .ini file ( [TRAJ] DEFAULT_VELOCITY )

The best method for a pendant, is to forget about Axis, it is just a GUI not Linuxcnc, and do it by one of the methods you have rejected.

I have mechanical switches which select axes and jog increments plus a MPG on my main pendant and direction switches plus speed selection on my USB pendant.
Think you will find most people have something similar in whatever form

regards

More
15 Nov 2012 01:05 #26591 by bjames28
Replied by bjames28 on topic jog-speed value from Axis
Hi ArcEye,

Thanks for the explanation and for the hints.

At this stage of the project I am unable to change the layout of buttons, switches, MPG, etc,. Next time I'll add a jog speed selector which is the best way to go.

Your Arduino based pendant is very nice and easy to do, currently I am waiting for some parts to arrive and surely I'll make it.

Thanks again.

Regards:
James

More
15 Nov 2012 21:33 #26619 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic jog-speed value from Axis

Axis exports a pin called axisui.jog-increment but not the jog-speed.
It is fairly easy to add the pin (edit usr/bin/axis around line 3055) but a little less trivial to make it do anything and you already said that you don't want to do that.

You _could_ choose to interpret the jog-increment as a speed selector in continuous jog mode from the pendant. (Guessing that the jog-mode drop down doesn't change the pendant jog mode)

More
16 Nov 2012 02:20 #26640 by bjames28
Replied by bjames28 on topic jog-speed value from Axis
Hi Andy,

My intention with the original question was to find out if there is an easier (or trickier) way to set jog speed.

Thanks for the valuable information, I'll look into axis anyway to see how its done .

Usage of axisui.jog-increment is fairly easy, with some limitations could work well.

I incorporate those tips into next version of my control panel.

Regards:
James

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds