Tool Change

More
27 Oct 2019 13:33 #148880 by Gaunt1969
Tool Change was created by Gaunt1969
Is there already a solution to this?
What I want to do is set up a button that will let me add the height of my work piece so that when my router go to the tool change location and I get a new offset for the tool length it uses the new tool length and height of my work piece for the correct position.

like the way it is normally done in gmoccopy.

I have my touch off plate mounted on a specific location on my work surface "that is what I think I can already have accomplish with little problem"

the button and the rest I don't have a solution for at the moment. and think someone may have already doe this but I have not stubbled across it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2019 17:56 #148905 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Tool Change
the way is
button cals ngc
in ngc
get the tool in spindle #5400
get the z of the mashine coordinate either #5422 of G53 or if you get G38 #5063
then from INI the ofset of the Probe to the mashine Z zero
calculate the ofset (( tool 0 is always Z 0
now use G10 L1 www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g10-l1
then reload the tool offset G43 Hx thats all

now if you go to Zero the tool shoudt be there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaunt1969

More
27 Oct 2019 21:40 #148932 by Gaunt1969
Replied by Gaunt1969 on topic Tool Change
In a since that's the just of what I was going to do but I need a way of entering my stock height and then calculating it with the touchoff of the new tool so the new tool will be correct in relation to stock top with each change. The stock size may change with each new part. That part may have multiple tool changes and with my router set up the tool lengths will vary each time they are changed. I dont want to have to break each tool path into multiple jobs.

More
28 Oct 2019 00:42 #148950 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool Change
In that case your best bet might be an auto tool-height measurement switch.

At the start of the job you would load a tool, then run the measurment cycle.

Then jog the tool to the work, and touch-off the work surface to the tool. The tool length is known (just measured) so then the system knows where the top of the work is for all tools (once they have been measured)

More
28 Oct 2019 02:33 #148956 by Gaunt1969
Replied by Gaunt1969 on topic Tool Change
The tools have to be touched off every time they are changed. The height of the work piece will be calculated after the first touchoff but I have to be able to enter the stock height off the work surface. The touch plate is mounted on the work surface and since I a working with wood it's not as simple to just touch off on the top of the work piece with good accuracy without a touch plate on top of it. Or I am just missing something here.

More
28 Oct 2019 11:59 - 28 Oct 2019 11:59 #148972 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool Change
Once the tool is touched off to the switch you can use that tool to measure the work thickness.

The way I do this is to jog the tool to less than 6mm over the surface, then slowly jog away from the surface until a 6mm rod just slips through the gap. (This runs less risk of chipping the tool than jogging towards the surface)

Then touch-off the current position as Z = +6 (G54 coordinate touch-off, not tool touch-off) and the system is all ready to go (assuming that Z = 0 is defined as the top surface in the CAM / G-code)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 11:59 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds