Config File Identification

More
19 Mar 2020 04:36 #160707 by electrosteam
I operate with the standard Axis interface.

Recently, I had reason to vary the config file slightly and I started saving various versions under different names.
I assume (dangerous) that as Axis is only a user interface, it just goes along for the ride with whatever configuration the machine is using.

The machine seems to only use the config file name corresponding to " 'Name'.stepconf ", where Name was what is entered at the stepconf generation stage.
And then there is the appearance of prefixes "x" and "X" in the file names that I did not enter.

Could someone point to where in the documentation the config file system is described ?
Thanks,
John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2020 05:54 #160709 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Config File Identification
What files did you save under different names?
Linuxcnc searches folders for the INI file to configure start up.
usual kept in YOUR_HOMEFOLDER/linuxcnc/configs/
ie AXIS_CONFIG path might be:
/home/chris/linuxcnc/configs/AXIS_CONFIG/AXIS_CONFIG.ini

AXIS goes along for the ride other then it usually uses the same preference file for operation preferences.

Chris

More
20 Mar 2020 13:13 #160877 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Config File Identification
.stepconf files are in internal data file for stepconf.

The actual machine configuration is the next layer up, the folder that contain the INI file and the HAL files.

(Note that you can have several INI files in the same folder, they can share HAL files, or have their own, or any combination. Similarly they can use the same or separate tool tables and persistent variable storage.)

In effect, the INI is the config. It is the name of an INI file that you are clicking on if you use the config picker.

My milling machine has three different modes (vertical mill, horizontal mill, gear hobber) with three INI files sharing some HAL files (spindle.hal, for example) and and with other HAL files set up differently to switch the axes around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lrak

More
20 Mar 2020 20:46 #160942 by electrosteam
Thanks Chris and Andy,
I have now dug through the details on my machine, with the help of your descriptions, and sorted it out.

Falling into all the newbie traps on the machine, but enjoying it.
Thanks and stay well,
John

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds