How to connect a two driver on same axis

More
12 Dec 2021 11:44 - 12 Dec 2021 12:33 #228911 by jorgedominguez
Hello.

First of all, I want to thank you in advance for your collaboration and for everything that I have learned here.

I'm currently building a portico type milling machine with X-Y-Z axes, and plans to expand it in the future. I'm using a mesa 5i25 + 7i76 combination with HBS86h closed loop drivers.

For the Y axis I've installed two spindles with one motor and one driver each, so two of each device in total. What would be the best way to connect them?

At first I thought that the same 'step' and 'dir' signals of the Y axis would be enough for two drivers connected in parallel, since I've read that the the inputs of the drivers only consume 25mA and the 7i76 is capable of outputting 350 mA. I suppose this spec also refers to the current it supplies in the 'step' and 'dir' outputs. Will I encounter any problems, or is this configuration correct?

Mods feel free to reassign my post to a different category. And excuse me if my English is not correct.

I look forward to hearing from you, cheers!
Last edit: 12 Dec 2021 12:33 by jorgedominguez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2021 13:50 #228918 by mgm
Hello ......

I think the keyword for your question is "gantry".
one stepper at X
two steppers at YY
one stepper at Z

Maybe this article will help
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...ry-with-linuxcnc-2-9

More
12 Dec 2021 14:21 #228920 by jorgedominguez
Thank you mgm.
"I think the keyword for your question is "gantry"." 
sorry, my english is not good ...

one stepper at X
two steppers at YY
one stepper at Z

that's what I want to do

I read that : The easy way is to output same signals on two pins on parallel port for both drives, the harder but much more useful way is to configure it as a gantry with two Y axis.

But I wonder if instead of changing things in settings, what if I connect two controllers in parallel?
The step and dir signals would go to the inputs of the two controllers.

Thanks

More
12 Dec 2021 14:47 #228924 by tommylight

I read that : The easy way is to output same signals on two pins on parallel port for both drives, the harder but much more useful way is to configure it as a gantry with two Y axis.

But I wonder if instead of changing things in settings, what if I connect two controllers in parallel?
The step and dir signals would go to the inputs of the two controllers.

That is the easy way and it works.

More
12 Dec 2021 16:29 #228934 by jorgedominguez
Ok. I'll do it then, so I'll have two free channels to "play around a bit" (after it works fine with 3 axes) ...

Thank you

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds