Manipulating the Shape of a Lathe Cutting Tool in Axis

More
13 Feb 2022 19:16 #234725 by Barry
I am running a CNC Lathe using Debian 10 and the latest Version of Buildbot and was wondering if there was a way to represent in AXIS a Lathe Tool that was square having a specific width and the control point positioned to the left (or right) side of the tool (e.g. a cutoff tool)?   ...Just curious.  It would look something like the graphic illustration below where the control point is positioned to the left and the width of the tool is defined as 0.125". 

The only way I know to currently represent a tool like this is to use a diameter of 0.125" in the tool table and that works okay but the graphic puts the control point (+) in the center of the tool.  Usually for a cutoff tool, I do a Tool Touch Off on either the right or left side of the cutoff tool to Automatically update it's Z-offset in the Tool Table.  I would prefer not to have to manually add 1/2 the width of the cutter to measurement provided by the Automatic Offset Calibration to account for the control point being positioned on the center line of the tool in Axis.      

+
 |||||
 |||||
 |||||
 |||||

Thank you in advance for your help with this,

Barry  :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2022 22:10 #234763 by cmorley
This would require coding in the core graphics library.
Probably not super hard, but not user configurable for sure.

More
13 Feb 2022 22:27 #234764 by Barry
No worries.  It's easy enough to work around this.  ..just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something.  Thank you for responding. 

Have a great day,  Barry  :)

More
13 Feb 2022 22:34 #234766 by cmorley
Wait I forgot to confirm that you know you can manipulate the shape to the tool with the tooltable. I am not sure you can set the control point.
I am looking for the docs to show you.

I meant that if you wanted custom shapes, that would require code changes.
maybe you can get something like what you want (I should have read your post better)

More
13 Feb 2022 22:39 #234767 by cmorley
best I can find at the moment:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/tool-....html#sec:tool-table

orientation (Q) would probably set the control point.
I and J set the front angle and back angle of the display tool shape on a lathe.

More
More
14 Feb 2022 00:16 #234774 by Barry
Yup, I'm up to speed on manipulating the shape of the tool in the tool table and tool orientation. You answered my question well. Thank you! :) Maybe we can put this on the wish list someday to improve user capability to achieve more complex tool shapes, but it's certainly not a high priority.

Also, on a different but related topic....I assume this is Chris. If so, did you get a chance to read my question concerning cone/tool scaling from a day or two ago (link is below)? Per one of your posts, you did some programing work on this and uploaded the upgrade to buildbot. I found that the cone/tool scaling works at AXIS startup but doesn't hold through a tool change. ...any thoughts on this? Thx.

forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/38485-change-...axis?start=20#234668

Barry :)

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds