Jogging not working properly when not on preview tab

More
28 Mar 2022 10:28 - 28 Mar 2022 11:09 #238518 by snowgoer540

I looked through the version 2.9 manual and found a spot that lists a known issue of keyboard jogging doing as you have described.
see section 4.7.18.1

2.9 manual

While that is specifically in reference to QtVCP, I would suspect that the same issue with autorepeat is happening here. From memory when we were working this issue in QtPlasmaC, it seemed that different OS cause different interferences. At any rate, the halscope plot posted looks identical.

Try this:

1. When you are on a tab that causes the choppy jogging, open a terminal window.
2. In the terminal type:
xset -r
3. Try jogging again.

If the axis jogs fine, just to be 100% sure, you could:
4. In the terminal window type:
xset r
5. Jog again, issue should be back

If "xset -r" solves your issue:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2022 11:09 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, rodw, my1987toyota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2022 12:27 - 05 May 2022 12:35 #242033 by moh
Sorry I haven't been replying to the comments, I don't seem to receive notifications on responds, so i though the thread was dead.

I will try the  xset -r solution tomorrow.

In the mean time, I've tried to update to the newest linuxcnc 2.9 (with python3), which has made the situation a bit worse.
Now whenever I am in an embedded tab (havent tested DRO) the keyboard input is lagging by 1 command, which means any button press cycle registers as
   <Key-Release>
   <Key-Press>
Instead of the other way around, which makes the jogging motion run forever (until Escape is pressed).
I already crashed a probe through this.

Funny enough Arrow keys are not detected, only page-up + page-down (jog z) as well as Shift+Arrow (rapid x/y).

I found that key actions are lagging by 1, by nserting:
   root_window.bind_class("all", "<KeyPress>", lambda e: print("P: " + e.keysym)
   root_window.bind_class("all", "<KeyRelease>", lambda e: print("R: " + e.keysym)
into axis.
(Not at machine right now, so the lines are just from memory, and there may be an error.

I have no idea how to fix this.
Last edit: 05 May 2022 12:35 by moh.

More
05 May 2022 12:45 #242036 by moh
I've just looked through some more of the Axis code, and I see a lot of references to trivkins as kinematics module (search for kins_is_trivkins)
I'm not running trivkins, I'm running a custom kinematics (millkins, to compensate X and Y axes).
The machines run perfect in auto mode, so I'm pretty sure the kinematics module is functioning correctly, but maybe there is an issue between Axis, Embedded Tabs and Custom Kinematics?

More
05 May 2022 22:47 #242081 by andypugh

maybe there is an issue between Axis, Embedded Tabs and Custom Kinematics?

I think that is unlikely. The kins and the UI are very far separated in the system. 

More
06 May 2022 10:02 #242113 by moh
I just tested by setting kinematics back to trivkins, and the issue persisted, so no luck there.
Also tried the xset -r command, but still no luck.

Does anyone have an idea of how to debug this?
I'm quite sure it has something to do with how keypresses are registered in axis/embedded tabs, but not sure how to proceed debugging.
If anyone has an idea on what information is needed to find the issue, then I'll make sure to provide that.

More
06 May 2022 10:23 #242117 by tommylight
Not sure how old the PC is, but check the BIOS for "typematic rate setting" or something similar.

More
06 May 2022 12:01 #242125 by moh
Same situation on 2 different PC's.
Both are quite new (like 8.th gen intel core i5).
Cant see any BIOS setting for this option.

More
07 May 2022 14:47 #242236 by moh
Í dived deeper into xembed.py and keyboard_forward, and for some reason all keyboard forwards are lagging by an event in axis.

If i print the event passed to fw.send_event(fe) (in xembed.py) and the events detected in axis.py, then I can see that axis is detecting a previous event and not the most recent.

But even if i modify xembed.py to send duplicate events (2x fw.send_event(fe)), then axis will still detect the previous keypress/keyrelease on both events.

No idea how to solve it, so for now i just disabled keyboard_forward to avoid dangerous movements.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds