Permanently embedding the tool table in a tab

More
17 Aug 2022 12:52 #249948 by JR1050
Recently I has a crash on a lathe due to having the tool table open twice. I don’t know why and I can’t really prove the table open twice caused the wacky offset. I do know it broke a carbide boring bar and it’s not the first time I have had issues with Linuxcnc dropping fixture offsets and writing weird tool offsets, previously it seemed like I had multiple instances of the tool table open when this phenomenon ocuured.

Obviously I can create extra tabs in Axis, how would one permanently pin the tool table in the tab and remove the open tool table from the drop down menu? Gscreen and Gmocpy seem to have a pinned tool table.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2022 22:25 #249976 by cmorley
It is a design choice for AXIS. Not sure why it was chosen, but probably for the choice of programs to edit tools.

You would have to customize the AXIS code - not impossible but not easy either.

Lathe work is kind of an after thought in linuxcnc - more work could be done to make it nicer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR1050

More
17 Aug 2022 23:48 #249980 by cakeslob
Hey, you can try this out,

I made a bunch of tabs for axis using the qtvcp widgets. I made an tool editor one, but looks like i left it incomplete. But the idea is there. You could probably do the same thing with glade.

forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/38188-solved-...-usercommand?start=0

forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...4_1024x768_scrot.png

forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachments/25269/tool2.ui
EMBED_TAB_NAME= tool2
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND= qtvcp -d -c qtvcp_embedd  -x {XID} tool2

More
17 Aug 2022 23:51 #249981 by JR1050
Where does the Axis code live? I can think of a couple of other things that could be added, like say an incremental offset box and the loss of all those confusing buttons, seems like all you need is save. Save, reload table, reread ect , confusing. I’ll do the work, anyone in particular familiar with the source code, and again what directory does it live in? Thanks.

More
18 Aug 2022 00:37 #249990 by cakeslob
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master...sr_intf/axis/scripts
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master/share/axis/tcl
 do it with a user command file. for this task, it will be easy to contain in a usercommand file. 
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/axis.html#_user_command_file

lately Ive been copying things from the tklinuxcnc and qtvcp and porting it to axis usercommand file.
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master/tcl

here is my early attempt at an offset tab

File Attachment:

File Name: usercomman...08-17.py
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds