select jog axis

More
23 Dec 2023 20:27 #288939 by TimP
Replied by TimP on topic select jog axis
with slight modification of python script from  forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...lect?start=10#281577
it is working now at least jog selection

i don't know why but i thought that all UIs should use some hal signals for representation of data. So changing `halui.axis.x.select` should be used by UIs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2023 20:33 #288941 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic select jog axis
There is no need for a GUI to get involved with external hardware. Thats what halui is for.
When GUIs extend their scope, we get a mess with differing configs for no reason.

More
23 Dec 2023 22:35 #288951 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic select jog axis
No, halui does not integrate well with axis selection or jogging rates in GUIs.
Halui is really a UI all on it's own, it was not made to integrate with other GUIs.
Just in most cases you can make it work.

More
24 Dec 2023 04:19 #288964 by rodw
I have not tried with qtdragon but halui jogging has worked for me with dedicated pendant hardware on axis, gmoccappy, and qtplasmac. I helps that the pendant has a deadman switch that allows selection of teleop mode before the pendant can be used.. This was most visible on Gmocappy as it selected the jogging tab when pressed. I don't expect qtdragon would be any different and teleop mode selection would make it pretty seamless.
Using pendant buttons for continuous high and low speed jogging is a bit more complex and while it can be done with hal, writing a custom component makes it simpler to implement as it flattens thehall commands a lot.

More
24 Dec 2023 05:48 #288971 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic select jog axis
What I meant be not integrating well is if you try to say select jog speed in the GUI but jog with Halui or some other combination of Halui and GUI controls.

More
24 Dec 2023 10:24 #288986 by rodw
Possibly, but on a table rather than a mill, where you are walking around the machine with pendant in hand, you never touch the GUI jog buttons (they might be on the other side of the table). So its not an issue.

More
24 Dec 2023 20:05 - 25 Dec 2023 15:19 #289013 by TimP
Replied by TimP on topic select jog axis
well i didn't thought about this but it makes sense. If you have physical buttons and switches you don't need them on screen.

interestingly enough feed override and rapid now shown in ui with proper values
Last edit: 25 Dec 2023 15:19 by TimP.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds