Run From Selected Line working?

More
03 Apr 2011 04:14 #8406 by waynegramlich
Every time I attempt to [Run From Selected Line], Axis always seems to start from the very beginning for me. Am I doing something wrong?

I am running a Ubuntu 10.4 system installed from EMC2 LiveCD image. Axis claims to be running EMC/Axis 2.4.6.

-Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2011 10:47 #8412 by Rick G
Hello,

Did you
Start running the part.
Then
Hit the Stop button at the top of the screen.
Then
Use your mouse to select the line to run from.
Then
Right click the line and select run from here?

Rick G

More
03 Apr 2011 22:18 #8428 by andypugh
You need to left-click to select and highlight a line, then right-click to run-from.

More
03 Apr 2011 23:45 #8436 by M4MazakUser
- i always find that if im using boring bars in the rear turret, it wont restart from a selected line, as it thinks that it is going to overtravel, some sort of negative/positive addition error.

More
04 Apr 2011 01:22 #8441 by waynegramlich
All:

Thanks for the suggestions. So far, on the real machine, it always starts from the beginning. I've tried both the stock EMC2 and the Run In Place EMC2.

On my lap-top, not connected to any machine, I have successfully managed to perform a run from selected line using the Sherline3Axis_inch configuration. It is not consistent though. Sometimes it starts from the beginning and other times it starts from the selected line.

I am really quite perplexed about this.

-Wayne

More
04 Apr 2011 11:22 #8460 by BigJohnT
Have you read the short description of Run From Line?

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gui_axis.html#r1_3_1

Keep in mind that non-moving lines will seem to be skipped.

John

More
04 Apr 2011 11:23 #8461 by BigJohnT
M4MazakUser wrote:

- i always find that if im using boring bars in the rear turret, it wont restart from a selected line, as it thinks that it is going to overtravel, some sort of negative/positive addition error.

Does it just give you a warning then when you accept it is runs anyway?

John

More
04 Apr 2011 19:44 #8522 by waynegramlich
I think I understand what I did wrong here. I currently do not own enough tooling for my new mill so that I can preset the the tool offset for each tool. I had this exact same problem when I was first learning CNC on a Tormach CNC running Mach 3. Using Mach3, I could reset the Z at each tool change and or pause. Axis does not currently allow Jog/MDI at tool change. So, I reorganized my G code so that the G code for each tool is in its own separate file (as per recommended practice.) However, I wrapped each file in subroutine as follows:
O1112 sub
T3 M6
O1112 endsub
O1112 call
M2

When I load one of these files and attempt to run from the middle of the subroutine, EMC2 cheerfully picks up from the line runs down until it reaches the O1112 call at the end and the runs the entire block from start to finish via the subroutine call. It all makes sense, why couldn't I figure that out by myself?

I'll change my post processor to generate a file without subroutine wrapper for when I need to
perform a partial run.

Thanks for all the help, for what was basically a self-inflicted problem.

-Wayne

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds