Jog "stuck" on, would not respond to E-stop

More
18 Apr 2011 17:47 #9048 by prcdslnc13
Not real sure where to put this but I have a rather pressing concern. After running a very long program this weekend ( probably 14k lines and about 50 minutes long), I tried to jog my router in the Z and Y directions. Both of them I just tapped the perspective keys on the keyboard and both of them acted as If I was holding the buttons down and just kept moving. Neither of the axes would respond to direction changes or E-stop on the keyboard or the radio buttons.

What could cause this? Its rather scary to think and this caused my z to crash and press straight through a tool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2011 18:31 - 18 Apr 2011 18:32 #9049 by BigJohnT
This can be a result of having your base period much too low and there is not cpu time left for the gui.

And I'm sure you know you should have a hard wired E-Stop and never depend on software for an E-Stop.

Did you run the latency test for an extended period of time like hours?

Do you get a latency error every time you start up Axis?

John
Last edit: 18 Apr 2011 18:32 by BigJohnT.

More
18 Apr 2011 18:46 #9050 by prcdslnc13
I did not run the latency test for very long. And I had a feeling that was the issue with this. I restarted the PC and that seemed to resolve the issue.

I dont get the latency error everytime, but I do get a RTAPI error everynow and then. I did get a "Joint 0 following error" which is my X axis this time while running the program in auto. Ive seen that error come up in manual jogging but never in auto mode. Could this be a latency issue?

More
18 Apr 2011 18:53 #9051 by BigJohnT
Some more info here:

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Stepper_Diagnostics.html

and yes. Also note you only get the RTAPI error once per session... so read that one carefully.

John

More
20 Apr 2011 18:20 #9178 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Jog
prcdslnc13 wrote:

What could cause this?.

Which version of EMC2 are you using? I have a vague memory that this was a bug, and has been fixed. (but can't find it in Git)

Were you shift (or alt) jogging in the MDI tab?

More
20 Apr 2011 18:28 #9182 by prcdslnc13
Replied by prcdslnc13 on topic Re:Jog
I was on the manual page, not MDI.

and this was on 2.3.0 so yes its old and thats probably been fixed. Im in the process of putting a new PC together for it with the latest EMC release. I just want to get some HAL component's working in it, Like adding a Logitech Controller and a probe input.

More
20 Apr 2011 18:50 #9191 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Jog
Yes, the fix was definitely since 2.3.0

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds