pyVCP and python/g-code scripts

More
27 Nov 2014 02:44 #53462 by tnl.lambert
So I've got another funky compound question here:

I have two primary system components: a computer with linuxcnc hooked up to a five-axis machine, and an older ABB IRB6400 robot. I'm currently using the robot as the master, and linuxcnc as the slave, connected over a 5-bit digital i/o cable. RAPID (the ABB robotics language) sends and receives signals from linuxcnc to coordinate motions.

What I want to do is flip that on its head - linuxcnc as master, robot as slave. That requires a significant change to the signalling infrastructure. Assuming that I can solve all of the problems associated with the robot - what is the best way to parametrize the signalling procedure?

Specifically, I need to be able to break out all of the parameters for both the robot and linuxcnc in a text file. My guess is that the best tool for the job is python. So what I need to do is:

1. Write a python script that contains g-code which is modified by reading in parameters from a separate text file.
2. Modify the axis GUI (with pyVCP) to permit button control of various signals to the robot.
3. Talk to the serial port from the python program.

I have seen a fair number of pyVCP examples surrounding the modification of the axis GUI, but I have no idea what tools to use to connect the python script with the GUI and the serial port.

A large part of my challenge will be using python to perform the signalling. Anyone have any insight here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2014 09:41 #53472 by cmorley
Sounds like you should be looking at gladeVCP instead of pyVCP.
What version of linuxcnc are you using/

gladeVCP can be combined easily with python program. well easy is a relative term...
for example Gscreen and Gmoccapy are basically gladeVCP programs.

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds