Reading Parameters / Return Values from Python

More
15 May 2016 00:31 - 16 May 2016 08:34 #74666 by ericholmberg
I'm working on some extensions to the GMOCCAPY GUI and I'm running into a road block reading parameters and returning values to Python from O-Code or mdi commands? Is there a way to do this? I can't seem to find much in the way of documentation for the _hal and _ini parameters and their usage in G-Code / O-Code.

Reading Parameters
For example, if I want to read the work coordinate system for a non-active work coordinate, in G-code, I can read the (x,y,z) values from the parameters: 5221 + WCS_Offset, 5222 + WCS_Offset, 5223 + WCS_Offset

However, since I haven't found a way to read the parameters directly from Python itself, I have to do one of the alternative methods below.

Alternative 1 - The status channel will return the active work coordinate system, but that requires changing the active work coordinate system, reading the values, and restoring the previous work coordinate system which seems clunky and it only works for the WCS values and not general parameters.
        # this is just pseudo code at the moment so don't nit-pick
        self.stat.poll()
        # read stat.g5x_index
        # change to required WCS
        self.command.mdi("G%d" % (54 + WCS_Index))
        self.stat.poll()
        # read stat.g5x_offset to get the value
        # restore previous WCS

Alternative 2 - Another alternative is to save the values to a temp file -- this works great and allows me to read all parameters, but it is very hacky IMHO.
            self.ui.command.mdi("(logopen,temp-wcs.txt)")
            wcs_offset = self.ui.wcs * 20
            self.ui.command.mdi("(log,#%d,#%d,#%d)" % (5221 + wcs_offset, 5222 + wcs_offset, 5223 + wcs_offset))
            self.ui.command.mdi("(logclose)")

Alternative 3 - Using Signals - I tried to create a new HAL pin and this works great for reading from G-Code, but I can't get writing from G-Code to work.
        self.halcomp = hal.component("tool_sensor")
        self.halcomp.newpin("in_float", hal.HAL_FLOAT, hal.HAL_IN)
        self.halcomp.newpin("out_float", hal.HAL_FLOAT, hal.HAL_OUT)
        self.halcomp.read()

# setting from Python and reading from G-Code works great
        self.halcomp['in_float'] = -42.0
        self.command.mdi("G91 G0 Z#<_hal[tool_sensor.in_float]>")

# Setting in G-Code doesn't work :(
        self.command.mdi("#<_hal[tool_sensor.out_float]>=1.23")

A direct approach would be much nicer -- maybe I'm missing something obvious?

O-Code Return Values
Another use case that I seem to be missing is for retrieving the return values from o-code. The return code is saved into parameter #<_value> - is there any way to read this from Python after calling a subroutine?

self.command.mdi("O<probe_z> call")
# How can I read the return code from the probe_z subroutine or do I just have to always use the raw probe value?

Any help or guidance (or pointers to the appropriate C/C++ code to look at) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Last edit: 16 May 2016 08:34 by ericholmberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 14:45 #74794 by andypugh
This bit of LinuxCNC code accesses the params with self.params["param_name"].
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2957cc...n-stdglue/stdglue.py

This is probably what you need.

More
19 May 2016 09:21 #74833 by ericholmberg
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. The code you linked to is for remapping various G-Codes which does help to some extent, but from what I understand, it would mean that I would have to override a few G-Codes to get the information that I'm looking for which doesn't seem to be much better than the current file approach. At least it is another option in case a run into any issues.

In reading through the remap documentation again, I did find out that the HAL references are read-only since they are read during read-ahead, so that explains the issue with alternative 3: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/remap/remap.html#remap:referto-hal-items

Thanks,
Eric

More
19 May 2016 11:51 - 19 May 2016 11:51 #74836 by andypugh

The code you linked to is for remapping various G-Codes which does help to some extent

It was just some example code that shows how to read the G-code parameters.
For example "self.params["speed"] = c.s_number" is reading the current value of the pre-defined parameter #<speed>.
I believe that the same approach would work with "self.params["5121"]. But there is also #<x> for example.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/overvie...ned-named-parameters

but from what I understand, it would mean that I would have to override a few G-Codes to get the information that I'm looking fo

No, that was not my suggestion, I was just using that code as an example of parameter access from Python.
Last edit: 19 May 2016 11:51 by andypugh.

More
21 May 2016 10:06 #74906 by ericholmberg

No, that was not my suggestion, I was just using that code as an example of parameter access from Python.

The stdglue.py, self.params, and other topics on the remap.html page refer to the embedded Python interpreter, so that still doesn't provide a data path back to the Python GUI code.

I believe that the same approach would work with "self.params["5121"]

Out of curiosity, I gave this a try and it worked for name parameters but not ordinal parameters. Taking a look at the parameter code in src/emc/rs274ngc/pyparamclass.cc, it turns out that named parameters are referred to by string and numbered parameters are referred to using their ordinal. So the named parameter self.params["_x"] is referred to as self.params[5420] or self.params[5212] for the WCS example.

Anyway, interesting side diversion and I'm sure the knowledge will be useful in the future.

Regardless, this approach doesn't open up any easy way to pass data back to the Python GUI code. No big deal, though, since using alternative 2 (temporary files) works fine.

Cheers,
Eric

More
21 May 2016 19:09 #74920 by andypugh

The stdglue.py, self.params, and other topics on the remap.html page refer to the embedded Python interpreter, so that still doesn't provide a data path back to the Python GUI code.

I would have thought that the GUI just needs to import the right libraries to make it work.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds