pyVCP button to call a python script

More
06 Mar 2017 16:38 #89095 by AThayer
Hey,

I would like to put buttons on my VCP that will run a python script. I want to call hole_circle.py with a button. Thank you for the help as I'm new to linuxcnc and making custom panels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 19:29 #89101 by andypugh
You can easily embed code in a GladeVCP panel (in which case you use ordinary Glade buttons, rather than a hal_button).

This would be helpful if you were using GladeVCP.
stackoverflow.com/questions/3781851/run-...ript-passing-in-args

You would need a very minimal Python handler loaded at the same time as the GladeVCP.

However, you are trying to do it with PyVCP, and that is somewhat more kludgy.

The only way that I know to do it with PyVCP is to have the PyVCP pin connect to a halui.mdi-command-NN pin, and then have that MDI_COMMAND call the script as a custom M-code.

More
22 Feb 2023 03:14 #265005 by foxkid
I'm not the OP, but I used the pyvcp->pin->MDI_COMMANDxx->M<xxxx>->remapped M codes to Python code.  It works. 

But, I've been intrigued by the fact that some of the XML is interpreted as full Python.  It is difficult to know what the environment is, and how other code might be called.  I've been printing information from the global environment, but haven't yet found what is accessible to Python, or how to use additional modules.

Is there a  guide to the evaluation environment of the Python code embedded in the XML for pyvcp?

-- Carl

More
23 Feb 2023 04:43 - 23 Feb 2023 04:44 #265107 by cmorley
Maybe you could show a sample bit of code?

Because Pyvcp doesn't run user python code.

Gladevcp and Qtvcp can though.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2023 04:44 by cmorley.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds