HAL net command question

More
03 Jul 2011 17:53 #11105 by kostas
I made some experiments for a custom component that I make and saw that when I create a new signal and connect a pin to it, the signal defaults to a value of 0.
I thought that the signal would take the pin's value.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2011 18:42 #11107 by andypugh
The signal will only take the value of the pin if the pin is an output. And, also, if the component is running (ie, attached to a thread, with the thread started)

More
03 Jul 2011 18:51 #11108 by kostas
Replied by kostas on topic Re:HAL net command question
Both signals I connect are IO. I guess taking the value of the pin doesn't apply to this type?

What I try to do is make a component that will change a pin based on it's previous value and adding a value from some other component pin, which will change.
My purpose is to be able to change the pid values with the help of some external rotary encoders. I want to be able every time to start with the predefined pid values though and not from zero.

More
03 Jul 2011 20:05 #11113 by andypugh
Create a parameter called (for example) "init-value" then you can use setp in the HAL file to give it a starting value.

From then on the code can use that as a variable, as the setp command is only run once when the hal file is loaded.

More
03 Jul 2011 20:10 #11115 by kostas
Yep! That's what I did already. I think I managed to get it working now. It would be much easier and simple if the values were loaded from the pin though.

Doing some initial tests now. I'm in a good path already.

More
03 Jul 2011 23:07 #11116 by andypugh
kostas wrote:

It would be much easier and simple if the values were loaded from the pin though.

If you think it through carefully, I think you would find that that could lead to inconsistency. How do you decide which value to use?

More
04 Jul 2011 05:48 #11120 by kostas
Yes, I know. I would take the value of the first pin connected on the net, but this would probably lead to some other problems.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds