Inputs and Outputs

• diekie
  • diekie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2011 21:11 #11802 by diekie
Inputs and Outputs was created by diekie
Please can someone help me? I have been asking around, but everyone gives the same answer:"read the manual". now where in the sample configurations do I find the 'physical pins'? I am using Mesa 5I20, and using the hm2 servo config. I can turn my servo motor, but now to find the right inpit pins for my limit switches. I've been looking through the manuals, and can't find the physical pins, and through the hal file, and nothing... There is some concept that I need to understand in Hal, maybe from example wiring diagrams I'll understand. or can I maybe use my paralel port for this? I have done a stepper system with EMC before,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2011 21:30 #11804 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
how are you connecting to the 5i20 , are you using the addon pcb's etc or your own breakout board
use pncconf and look at the readme file produced or use dmesg and the pins should be listed

then you need to relate the 5i20 pins to your breakout

More
24 Jul 2011 22:04 #11806 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
axis.N.neg-lim-sw-in and axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in (N is joint number which relates to axis letter) are the name of the limit switch pins From EMC
You must connect them to input pins from the 5i20 or from the parallel port.
for example (5i20)
net x-home-sw => axis.0.home-sw-in hm2_5i20.0.gpio.052.in
net x-neg-limit => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in hm2_5i20.0.gpio.051.in
net x-pos-limit => axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in hm2_5i20.0.gpio.050.in

I know the manual is difficult to find stuff in when your new.
Cncbashers suggestion of using PNCconf to build a sample config is an excellent idea.
Because setting up limits and homing is a difficult task all by it's self.
You could either just use the pncconf made config or use it as reference to get what you want in your custom config.

More
24 Jul 2011 23:23 #11808 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
Did you read the hostmot2 part of the integrators manual?

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/drivers_hostmot2.html#r1_7

John

More
25 Jul 2011 00:09 #11810 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
diekie wrote:

Please can someone help me? I have been asking around, but everyone gives the same answer:"read the manual". now where in the sample configurations do I find the 'physical pins'?

The functions of the physical pins are different depending on what firmware you are using, and how many of each module such as "stepgen" is loaded.
If you open a console window once EMC2 has started and type "dmesg" you will get a listing of the pin layout you have ended up with.

Bear in mind that HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer, the point is that it allows you to connect any physical pin with any machine function, so any free GPIO pin at all can be connected in HAL to axis.0.home-sw-in, and if you want to also connect the same pin to axis.0.pos-limit-sw-in then you can do so.

More
25 Jul 2011 02:19 - 25 Jul 2011 02:20 #11811 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
In addition to what everyone else has said, there are some basic things that may help
1 The GPIO pins 0..23 are on 5I20 P2, 24..47 are on P3 and 48..71 are on P4.

2. For a standard servo config, the servo interface will be on P2, leaving P3 and P4 free for GPIO use

3. If you have a 7I37 daughtercard its outputs are always on the top 8 pins of a connector (the lower 16 are inputs) so for example a 7I37 on P3 would have inputs on GPIO 24..39 and outputs on GPIO 40..47 A 7I37 on P4 would have inputs on GPIO 48..63 and outputs on GPIO 64..71

4. To get outputs to work, you will need to set the IS_OUTPUT parameter for all GPIO output bits (GPIO 40 ..47 in the 7I37 example)

5. Most mesa output devices like the 7I37 are active low (low means switch on), this means you will want to set the INVERT_OUTPUT parameter on outputs pins

6. One way to find if GPIO bits are available (not used by a special function) is to see if the output GPIO pin is listed, if the GPIO output pin is listed, that I/O pin is a free GPIO bit
Last edit: 25 Jul 2011 02:20 by PCW. Reason: sp

• diekie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2011 20:54 #11850 by diekie
Replied by diekie on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
Thanks for the help.

• diekie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2011 03:57 #12708 by diekie
Replied by diekie on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
Thank all of you who helped. I tried it out, and as a terrible reader, i like pncconf. has any of you done some Fanuc dc servo motors? I want to throw out the system 5t control, and some of my machines is also using 6t and 6m controls. just wondering if anyone has done it.

More
25 Aug 2011 00:01 #12723 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Inputs and Outputs
diekie wrote:

Thank all of you who helped. I tried it out, and as a terrible reader, i like pncconf. has any of you done some Fanuc dc servo motors? I want to throw out the system 5t control, and some of my machines is also using 6t and 6m controls. just wondering if anyone has done it.

I think it has been done. I guess you want to keep the servo drives?

Are the motors brushed or brushless (red-cap or yellow-cap?)

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds