Conflict between joypad and camera

More
11 Feb 2012 16:40 #17599 by kb8wmc
Hello to all;
I am just now starting to cram into my old brain the concepts of HAL components...Presently, on a different computer with Axis running a router table, I have it set up to run the identical joypad used in the wiki for joypad setup...I merely copied the code and followed all directions and the joypad functioned as intended...That did not provide me with the knowledge necessary to really do anything with HAL...I have recently followed instructions for installing a camera on the same Axis install (thanks to psha's help) and it also functions properly as far as I can tell...

The problem I found was that in order to get the video camera to work, I had to disable all lines of code in the various file locations (.ini, *.hal) which made reference to the operation of the joypad...So, I can either enable the joypad, or the video camera, but not both at same time...I am 99% sure this involves a conflict between the two devices controlled in and through HAL components...I am not sufficiently knowledgeable enough presently to actually identify what that presumed conflict is, nor provide a resolution to that conflict...I do believe that this is a HAL conflict and thus I am studying diligently to learn to be self-sufficient with HAL, but I realize it will be a lengthy learning curve and I would like to have a more immediate solution...

Any suggestions will be happily accepted...I will provide any error reports or other information as requested.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2012 16:46 #17600 by BigJohnT
Error information would be a good start. What I do is un-comment each line in hal till I find the one that offends hal then fix that one.

My SWAG is your trying to load or add the same function twice and that is only available in 2.5 if you "turn on" the option.

Try adding one line at a time to your hal then run LinuxCNC to see if you get an error. Also read the short basic hal chapter in the Integrators manual for a quick "get me up to speed" on hal.

John

More
11 Feb 2012 17:02 #17601 by kb8wmc
John,
Thank you for your very quick response...

I will gather file/error information and post it...in the mean time I will try your suggestions, un-commenting individual lines to see where it breaks...

I have already read your suggested HAL information, as well as all others I could find...I know I am not competent at present, but I will be if I live long enough...lol

Thank you for your input...I will keep you posted...

Mike

More
11 Feb 2012 17:03 #17602 by cncbasher
are both usb devices specificly enabled in your permissions list in ubuntu

More
11 Feb 2012 17:24 #17603 by kb8wmc
Using the suggested method of isolating the line of code that breaks, I received the following error, in the third line of custom_postgui.hal relating to the joypad:

insmod: error inserting ' /usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/emc2/sum.ko': -1 File exists
custom_postgui.hal:11 exit value: 1
custom_postgui.hal:11 insmod failed, returned -1

The line that broke it is as follows:

"loadrt sum2 count=2"

cncbasher: I don't know how to check if they are both enabled, and don't know exactly where to look to see if they are and with permissions....btw, thank you for your input

Mike

More
11 Feb 2012 17:26 #17604 by BigJohnT
Do you have loadrt sum2 in any other hal file or twice in the custom.hal file. If so just increase the count to 3 or whatever to have enough sum2's.

John

More
11 Feb 2012 17:35 #17605 by kb8wmc
John,
Yes, I do have another file which has the same lines as follows:

"loadrt sum2 count=3" this line is located in my "router.hal" file....

I increased the number in the custom_postgui.hal file to 5, and when starting axis, received the same identical error:

Mike

More
11 Feb 2012 17:43 #17606 by kb8wmc
John,
I next tried increasing the count= number to 5 in the "router.ini" file and reverting the custom= to its original 2 in the "custom_postgui.hal" file yielding the same identical error as before....

Mike

More
11 Feb 2012 17:45 #17607 by kb8wmc
John,
Next, I increased to 5 the count= numbers in both of the files afore-mentioned, still with identical error...

More
11 Feb 2012 18:23 #17608 by BigJohnT
I assume you made a typo when you said you had loadrt... in your router.ini file and assume you mean your router.hal file.

Comment out the loadrt in the custom.hal file and increase the count in the router.hal file to cover as many as you need. You can only load a component once in 2.4.

Your next hurdle is to change the component numbers in your custom.hal file... so your already using 3 sum2's in your router.hal file so the next one you can use is sum2.3 (they start at 0). Do the addf lines first.

John

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds