write a HAL componet for canopen commnunication

More
13 Nov 2013 10:37 #40778 by ztj_1
I have known that socketcan was embeded into kernel, but i found that users can only use it in userspace level. I want to ask if it is possible for me to make a realtime module with canopen conmunication? so that I can write a gule module for linuxcnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2013 19:40 #40785 by andypugh

I have known that socketcan was embeded into kernel, but i found that users can only use it in userspace level. I want to ask if it is possible for me to make a realtime module with canopen conmunication? so that I can write a gule module for linuxcnc.

Do you want to control devices that require realtime communication? I believe that the Modbus implementation in LinuxCNC only works in userspace, but is still useful to people.

Which physical output port on the PC would be used?

More
14 Nov 2013 13:30 #40810 by ztj_1
I use PCI to can card ADLINK7841

More
14 Nov 2013 18:20 #40819 by andypugh

I use PCI to can card ADLINK7841

Looking at the datasheet it says "Direct memory mapping to the CAN controllers" and that might be the way to approach the problem, write a direct-access driver for HAL.

If you look here:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...e74b607c0ef4;hb=HEAD

You will see pcl720.comp which is a very simple driver written in "comp" for an ISA card. You could write something rather like that, but using elements from (for example) AX5214H.c which is a PCI card driver, though written in C instead.

More
06 Mar 2014 15:59 #44482 by automata
ztj_1: did you get anywhere with getting canopen to work with linuxcnc?

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds