Drive the spindle speed with a rotary encoder knob

More
22 Jan 2014 06:47 #43069 by kostas
I see that there are no halui pins for controlling the spindle speed with a number (like for example, the halui.jog-speed), only halui.spindle.increase and halui.spindle.decrease pins.
I want to change the spindle speed with a rotary encoder knob, but I can't find a suitable component that takes an s32 value and outputs up/down pulses. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2014 09:24 #43071 by cmorley
how about spindle over ride pins?

We could probably add pins to master for this, just not sure if its a good idea yet.
Is this for manual machining?
Are you expecting to start and stop with this knob?
Why this knob and not the override knob?

Chris M

More
22 Jan 2014 16:14 - 22 Jan 2014 16:15 #43076 by kostas
We have also added a knob that changes the spindle override. The Bridgeport has no longer the original spindle controls, so the friend who owns it wants to be able to change the speed without using the keyboard or mouse when doing manual machining or sending MDI commands.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2014 16:15 by kostas.

More
23 Jan 2014 08:29 #43096 by kostas
I finally realized that I could use a stepgen and up/down pulses driven by the encoder. Works fine ..

More
23 Jan 2014 08:33 #43097 by kostas

We could probably add pins to master for this, just not sure if its a good idea yet.

Why is this not a good idea yet Chris?

More
25 Jan 2014 14:13 - 25 Jan 2014 14:14 #43147 by cmorley
It is difficult to decide how it should work with other pins.

eg if using the proposed pins to operate the spindle, what happens if the pin increase is used?

now one pin says it should be 500 rpm yet it is operating at 600 rpm because of the increase pin.

The only way that makes sense (to me) is if we have a pin for 'starting rpm' and then the forward pin uses that info to start the spindle at that rpm.

so to change the rpm you would change the 'starting rpm' pin and toggle the spindle forward pin....

Chris M
Last edit: 25 Jan 2014 14:14 by cmorley.

More
25 Jan 2014 14:16 #43148 by cmorley

It is difficult to decide how it should work with other pins.

eg if using the proposed pins to operate the spindle, what happens if the pin increase is used?

now one pin says it should be 500 rpm yet it is operating at 600 rpm because of the increase pin.

The only way that makes sense (to me) is if we have a pin for 'starting rpm' and then the forward pin uses that info to start the spindle at that rpm.

so to change the rpm you would change the 'starting rpm' pin and toggle the spindle forward pin....

Chris M

or start the spindle and use the increase / decrease pins.

More
25 Jan 2014 18:47 #43152 by newbynobi
Or he uses an MPG to control the spindle and the counts of the MPG are connected to a component that checks the differnce and "send" the desired amount of increase or decrease signals.

Norbert

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds