Move axis for automatic tool change

More
23 Jan 2018 16:37 - 23 Jan 2018 16:39 #104898 by eriksalo
Hi;. I'm nearly done with an OKADA VM500 LinuxCNC retrofit. It's a big mid-80's VMC with a twenty position carousel style ATC.

I have all of the I/O hooked up and can do a tool change by hitting buttons on Axis/Glade. Now I want to automate to work with an M6 Tx command.

What is the preferred method of doing this? I need to move the Z-Axis during the course of the tool change. It's not clear how to do this in classic ladder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks; Erik
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 16:39 by eriksalo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 16:40 #104899 by skunkworks
take a look at the

linuxcnc/configs/sim/axis/vismach/VMC_toolchange/

example.

More
23 Jan 2018 21:26 #104921 by eriksalo
Thanks! I searched the docs and forum for hours and didn’t see this. Will go check it out.

More
18 Feb 2018 11:04 #106123 by andypugh

What is the preferred method of doing this? I need to move the Z-Axis during the course of the tool change. It's not clear how to do this in classic ladder.

Classic ladder has no way to move an axis.
So it is much easier to do a tool change like you are talking about with a G-code subroutine.
You can develop the subroutine first, then make it be called from M6 using G-code remapping.
However it probably makes sense to do the remapping first, as the supplied "stdglue" routines pass some useful parameters to the G-code.

I wrote the "carousel" HAL component specifically to interact with G-code routines, though it ought to work with Ladder too.

As mentioned earlier, the VMC_toolchange demo configs use both remapping and the carousel component. You can try them out (without moving any actual hardware) by choosing them from the config-picker in sim/axis/vismach/vmc_toolchange

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds