Configuring the spindle motor's power draw bar (tool change)

More
21 Jun 2019 06:01 #137455 by JetForMe
I have an output from the Mesa 7i76e that releases the tool holder draw bar on my spindle motor when asserted, and locks it when deasserted.

What's the right net to connect this hardware pin to in the HAL configuration? Since other advice I've gotten about the tool changer is to sequence to the full tool change operation with gcode subroutines, right now I'm just trying to get to where I can open and close the draw bar.

I found stuff in the Motion module for M62-M65, but I wondered if there already existed a higher-level concept of "open/close drawbar".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2019 02:18 #137537 by cmorley
There is no builtin mechanism to open and close a drawbar.
You would need to add this to your remap routine.

Chris M

More
22 Jun 2019 23:58 #137621 by andypugh
On my machine the tool release is connected to a physical switch via LinuxCNC HAL.
I have an interlock in HAL so that the button is ignored of the spindle is turning.

More
25 Jun 2019 01:15 #137769 by JetForMe

There is no builtin mechanism to open and close a drawbar.
You would need to add this to your remap routine.

I figured this was the case, but would I use M64/M65 for this? Or something else?

More
25 Jun 2019 03:53 #137773 by cmorley
M codes would work.
personally I am pretty good with python - so I would make a python remap and add dedicated HAL pins.

Time for you to start experimenting!

Chris M

More
25 Jun 2019 09:17 #137779 by andypugh
[quote="JetForMe" post=137769I figured this was the case, but would I use M64/M65 for this? Or something else?[/quote]

If you have a tool change routine written in G-code then M54/M65 is definitely the way to go.

If you want a physical button and are _not_ running a G-code routine then a button connected to an MDI_COMMAND that calls M64 / M65 would work, but would be needlessly circuitous. In that case doing it in HAL makes more sense.

More
25 Jun 2019 10:42 #137787 by pl7i92
better to use a safty double press button external electronics
that only outputs one shot
like used in WOODSPLITTER or Methell press /Punchers
that the user only can start at this conditions

More
25 Jun 2019 11:34 #137792 by andypugh
A double press button is no use for manual tool changes, you need one hand to grab the tool.

Interlocking to both spindle speed and the spindle-on status is probably good enough.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds