what is the right command(sequence) for adding new tool?

More
05 Nov 2019 17:44 #149628 by Reinhard
Hi Andy,

It probably is.

Well, you're right :)

As I don't know much about lathe, I asked a friend, who recently became teamleader of multi-axis machines, to show me toolmanagement at a multi-axis machine.
Surprise!
He just established the tool-management I had in mind :)
He shares my opinion, that uses should not have to bother with slots or slot types.

The multiaxis machine has a carussel with static mounted tools and one or more milling spindle(s) with connection to atc.
The machine offers a separate tool-management editor for each spindle/carussel.

And my friend established the "standard", that the machine knows every tool, that is mounted in an adapter/tool holder - no matter wether the tool is inside the machine or outside.
This way the "operator" just cares about tool number - and the machine knows all values related to the tool number. Each tool keeps its tool-number, even outside of the machine.
The places for the toolholders are numbered according the tool numbers.

Yeah - I love it :)

And the tool is identifyable by comment and picture :)
Very nice.

So I try to go for it ...

Ah - by the way:
Even in the multiaxis machine, each tool is identified by the known parameters from basic machines, which means: length, radius and head radius for turning tools and X-, Z- and Orientation for static lathe tools.
No tool has parameters for UVWABC axis.
May be, linuxcnc did too much on that area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2019 08:03 #149674 by akb1212
I fully agree with you here Reinhard.
I come from using commersial systems at work, and a tool list with all necesary data that is easily shared with the CAM is a must.

So as Fusion 360 is used by a large portion of us as it is available at no cost it should be supported.
Also, Autodesk are open on their formats.

The question is if this is much work to be implemented. And also, who can do it. I can say I don't have the skills to do that.

Then there is the freecam world, which is another good initiative. I haven't looked to deeply in to that yet, but I assume they also have some form of tool management system?

Either way any CAM software needs more data than what you describe here. Geometry of the tool and holder is probably the most importent part. This is needed for colision testing, and is as such essential. This is already freely available in Fusion 360, so there is no reasons not to use it. And I strongly recommend using it!
The question is whether this is part of the library that LinuxCNC is seeing or not.

More
06 Nov 2019 14:59 #149725 by andypugh
There are lots of ways to do this.

There could be a plug-in for Fusion that exported a LinuxCNC-formatted tool table (in the current format), or a utility for LinuxCNC that output a Fusion format tool table. This would work poorly with the current tool table, which knows too little about the tools to be all that useful to Fusion. If the tool database was implemented then this would be less of a problem. ]

And then the paragraph above, with Fusion replaced by FreeCAD.

I don't know of a universal standard for sharing tool table data.

More
06 Nov 2019 17:22 #149738 by Reinhard

So as Fusion 360 is used by a large portion of us as it is available at no cost it should be supported.
Also, Autodesk are open on their formats.

Sorry, but I will never ever use or even try Fusion 360 or any other software from Autodesk.
I don't support companies, that have robbery as base of their comercial doing ...
Autodesk: you can use our software, but your work belongs to us. FUCK NO!

If you send me a tool table from fusion, I will have a quick look - but I definitively won't spend much time on it.

Then there is the freecam world ...

Do you have some links?

The only good solution I know, that runs on linux systems is CamBam - and that is shareware. Not expensive and worth every dime, but not free.
But it runs on linux and there is support for linux ...

My first choice!

Deskproto is another affordable CAM - not free too and it does not run on linux.
But it runs standalone without network access, so yes, it would be a choice.

If you know any CAM system, that runs on linux and has support for linux, I would be happy to hear about it.

... with Fusion replaced by FreeCAD.

Sorry Andy - but here I disagree completely.
FreeCAD is bullshit and is not usable if you want to do CAD in serious.
The developer don't have a leader - any one codes on its own nose, which leads to fully incompatible worksheets. I followed freecad for some years, but then I gave up - for me, its crap only and not worth to spend the time in learning how to work withit.

cheers Reinhard

More
06 Nov 2019 19:04 #149745 by Todd Zuercher
Why are you so harsh on FreeCAD? I've only played with it a little bit in the past year, but I thought it made pretty nice tool paths once I figured it out. I really don't have much experience with other CAD programs though, but working with FreeCAD was very different from the one CAD/CAM I do know. (Enroute)

More
07 Nov 2019 03:54 #149802 by Reinhard
Hi Todd,

as long as you only play withit, things seem to be acceptable.
Just try to realize a "real" nontrivial Model and apply changes that happen during time being.
... and then tell me, that freecad did not waste your time, broke your model without recovery-possibility ...

More
07 Nov 2019 04:34 - 07 Nov 2019 04:56 #149803 by mozmck
What do you consider non-trivial?
This? forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39967
Or maybe this? forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39829
Or what about this? forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=38264

I'm no expert on FreeCAD, but it seems like some people are able to do some real and non-trivial work in it to me!
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 04:56 by mozmck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Nov 2019 11:31 #149833 by tommylight
I have to agree with Moz on this, although i am not using freecad, but i did try it several times after the initial "there is nothing here" try to choose a "workbench", then things change, a lot.
At that time i was not aware there is a CAM for it so i moved on to BlenderCAM, and this is a beast! Learning it seems very hard at the start, but as you learn bits and pieces, things tend to get quite enjoyable after a while.

More
07 Nov 2019 13:41 #149848 by Todd Zuercher
I think the CAM features (Path workbench) are relatively new to FreeCAD. Especially the adaptive tool pathing (HSM) only were added with v0.18.

More
07 Nov 2019 16:28 #149860 by Reinhard

I'm no expert on FreeCAD, but it seems like some people are able to do some real and non-trivial work in it to me!

Sure! FreeCAD has several magnific developer, that realize fantastic things.
But when you have to apply changes, which are natural in long term projects, than freecad will corrupt your model and/or model history, without any chance of rollback ...
When you have a problem with freecad, its very likely, that you get the answer: thats not the problem of freecad, but of library xyz ...

But hey - that's my experience. May be you made others ...

At that time i was not aware there is a CAM for it so i moved on to BlenderCAM, and this is a beast!

Well - blender is my workbench for fast shots as well for complex things.
I startet to learn blender at the same time as freecad. FreeCad could not convince me at all, but blender did it. FreeCAD developer blame blender for not being precise, nor CAD nor parametric ...
But the point for me is: blender never destroyed a model and I could modify anything after years - it allows own libraries and for so linking between different files and the layer system of blender is outstanding. Never saw something similar elsewhere :)

cheers Reinhard

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds