kinematics module load error

More
01 Feb 2022 02:45 #233683 by dbotos
I'm assuming this is a HAL-related error since that's the only place I see a reference to kinematics.  I got this error when attempting to start 2.8.2 with the attached INI and HAL files.  These config files were working under 2.5.3, but I recently got a new computer for my plasma table (which I also run a small laser on sometimes and figured I'd get that going first since it's a bit simpler) and did a fresh install of 2.8.2 on that new computer.  I went through the INI file and updated a few places where paths had changed from "emc" to "linuxcnc". 

Debug file information:
can't read "::kins(module)": no such variable
    while executing
"puts "\n$::progname: ($::kins(module) kinematics) ERROR:""
    (procedure "err_exit" line 2)
    invoked from within
"err_exit $emsg"
    invoked from within
"if [info exists emsg] {
    err_exit $emsg
  }"
    (procedure "check_mandatory_items" line 8)
    invoked from within
"check_mandatory_items"
    (file "/usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/check_config.tcl" line 178)

What should the line look like in the HAL file that calls out the kinematics module?

Thanks,
David
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2022 08:13 #233690 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic kinematics module load error
There have been some fairly substantial changes with version 2.8:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/u...tion_files_for_2_8_x

Since you seem to be running a gantry (using the A-axis as the second Y) the conversion script mentioned in the document linked above will not be a quick fix for you.
Your fastest route to movement may be to create a new configuration using 'pncconfig' (point and click configuration).
The following user(s) said Thank You: dbotos

More
01 Feb 2022 14:30 #233712 by dbotos
Replied by dbotos on topic kinematics module load error
Thanks for the link - that is very helpful.

Yes, my table is a gantry-style machine with the 4th driver/motor for the right side of the Y-axis. I might try changing the VERSION variable in the INI file to something other than 1.1 and seeing what the update script changes, but it sounds like some manual intervention could still be needed. If that proves to be too much of a pain, I can always try a fresh config as you mentioned.

More
03 Feb 2022 17:59 #233897 by dbotos
I went through my INI and HAL files and manually updated them based on the sample configs for Mesa in 2.8.2.  I have a few questions before I try them out:

1.  In the INI file, I have a COORDINATES variable in the [TRAJ] section.  Does this need to be in the [KINS] section as well?  In the HAL file (under the "Core EMC/HAL Loads" section), does anything about the "loadrt [KINS]KINEMATICS" line need to change so that it's invoking that coordinates variable?

2. In the HAL file in the "Core EMC/HAL Loads" and "THREADS" sections, I commented out the last line of each section that have to do with the watchdog timer from my old 2.5.3 config.  I'm assuming the new estop latch lines just above each is taking their place, function-wise.  Is this correct?

3. In the HAL file in the "A [3] Axis" section, does the line in the "# position command" sub-section look right for slaving the A (Y2) joint to the Y1?

net emcmot.01.pos-cmd => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.03.position-cmd

This is how I had it in my 2.5.3 config.  Or should it look more like the same portion of the "Y [1] Axis" section?  i.e.:

net emcmot.03.pos-cmd <= joint.3.motor-pos-cmd
net emcmot.03.pos-cmd => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.03.position-cmd

Thanks,
David
Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2022 01:42 - 04 Feb 2022 01:43 #233938 by dbotos
I messed with my config files some more just now on the actual machine and made these changes:

1) Added the following to the [KINS] section of the INI file:

COORDINATES  = X Y Z Y

2) Added the following just before the [JOINT_3] section of the INI file:

[AXIS_A]
#set soft travel limits (in inches)
MIN_LIMIT = -60.0
MAX_LIMIT = 60.0
#set speed and accel limits (in in./s and in./s^2)
MAX_VELOCITY = 5
MAX_ACCELERATION = 20

3) Changed the following in the Spindle section of the HAL file:

motion.spindle-on to spindle.0.on

motion.spindle-speed-out to spindle.0.speed-out

When I try to start LinuxCNC with this config now, it shows the splash graphic (2.8.2-11-g6a3d0a434), gives no errors, but never actually starts.  Not sure where to go from here.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2022 01:43 by dbotos.

More
04 Feb 2022 08:56 #233957 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic kinematics module load error

Not sure where to go from here.

As I already suggested, use the pncconf utility and create a new configuration. I think it also supports gantry setups now. That will give you a working set of files and you can do the fine tuning after.
Trying to manually modify your existing files to the new version is probably the most painful way of doing this. 

More
06 Feb 2022 16:17 #234120 by dbotos
I ran the pncconf wizard the other day and the resulting INI and HAL files definitely had some significant differences from my old 2.5.3 configs.  I used the pncconf-generated INI and HAL files as the basis for a fresh set of config files.  LinuxCNC now opens up fine to the Axis GUI and I can home all axes, but I'm having an issue with the charge pump signal getting to the G540.  I found a relevant thread that was discussing a similar issue and joined that thread starting here:

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4296...-5i25-stepgen#234118

I've posted my new INI and HAL files in that thread along with a README file that I'm keeping in the same config folder to keep track of notes / comments.  Thanks again for the help.  

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds