hal_input and USB

More
14 Aug 2022 10:32 #249708 by donell
hal_input and USB was created by donell
I have been trying to connect my Arduino controlled pendant to LinuxCNC using hal_input via the USB Arduino interface, with little success.
The documentation shows  loadusr hal_input inputspec where the input spec is the details of the relevant USB interface gathered from /proc/bus/input/devices.
My Arduino connects to the USB and I can see it with lsusb.  However it is not present in /proc/bus/input/devices, but is present in /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices.

If I run hal from the terminal and then try to load hal_input it complains it cannot find the Arduino and gives me a list of the devices in /proc/bus/input/devices.

Am I missing something?

I am running LinuxCNC version 2.9 on Debian Buster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2022 16:50 #249802 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic hal_input and USB
Did you try adding permissions and adding your user name to the "dialout" group?
This is something i had to deal with any time i used an arduino with Linux.

More
16 Aug 2022 08:29 #249866 by donell
Replied by donell on topic hal_input and USB
Thanks tommylight. There is indeed a problem with the permissions, but I don't think that is the root of the matter. Doing halrun from the command line as sudo gets past the permissions but I am still getting the issue I reported above. Running as a normal user indicates there is a permissions problem.
I found this 'wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/USB'.
The last section seems to indicate that there has been a change to how usb is accessed. This seems to fit in with what I have found. My Ubuntu desktop also seems to have the same arrangement.
Obviously I need to fix the permissions but there seems to be something else amiss here.
Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds