custom hal component failed to compile, undeclared (first use in this function)

More
18 Dec 2022 20:03 #259850 by tommylight

I really think hal, should embrace a basic, like YAB or similar. 

Nooooooo :)
Hal is the main reason i love LinuxCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2022 22:29 - 19 Dec 2022 02:15 #259858 by smc.collins
C is a great language, but hal is already behaving like a Basic type language. it'd make more sense to have a basic type of syntax in hal. Back to my mess, I can get it to compile, but I still can't get it to work. If someone can explain why this doesn't work, I'd love to hear the explanation. latest source and config.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Dec 2022 02:15 by smc.collins.

More
19 Dec 2022 23:26 #259910 by andypugh

C is a great language, but hal is already behaving like a Basic type language. it'd make more sense to have a basic type of syntax in hal.

HAL files can be Tcl files, if you want actual code in there. 

The custom comps _have_ to be C files as they are compiled into Linux kernel modules and C is the only language allowed in the kernel. 

More
20 Dec 2022 01:57 #259920 by smc.collins
i got some motion today, sniffing out a logic problem but i think i might be on the correct path now. 

any idea why iocontrol doesn't fetch the tool number from the component when homing ???

More
20 Dec 2022 14:12 #259955 by andypugh
iocontrol sits there waiting to handle specific tool-related NML messages. If it doesn't see any then it doesn't do anything.

More
20 Dec 2022 14:24 #259956 by smc.collins
wouldn't it make sense to have iocontrol poll for the changer or tool number ??? or provide a path for iocontrol to receive a pocket or tool number at startup, or a way to have a persistent tool state.

is all the tool code in iocontrolv2 or is it spread out everywhere

More
21 Dec 2022 01:06 #259987 by andypugh

wouldn't it make sense to have iocontrol poll for the changer or tool number ??? or provide a path for iocontrol to receive a pocket or tool number at startup, or a way to have a persistent tool state.

You could run a T command in [RS274NGC]RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE

There are some posts on the forum about persistent tool numbers. But you shouldn't need that for a lathe, as the system knows where the changer is at all times.

More
21 Dec 2022 02:50 - 21 Dec 2022 03:06 #259992 by smc.collins
working on that issue of " knowing where the turret is parked" I decided to do a complete rewrite of the component.Let me know if you see any obvious errors. I ran out of time tonight. I got it debugged enough to build. I really don't care for the syntax of C very much, but it is what it is 

edit, noticed a misplaced pair of brackets 
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2022 03:06 by smc.collins.

More
21 Dec 2022 14:01 #260008 by andypugh
Your switch statement is malformed. The format is
switch(value) {
    case 1:
      stuff
    break;
    case 2:
      more stuff
    break;
    default:
      default stuff
}

You don't have the opening and closing brace for the switch, and have the "switch(progress_level)" several times inside itself.
You don't always need, or want, the "break" but it's a good idea to comment a deliberate "fall through" to the next state.

More
21 Dec 2022 14:46 #260014 by smc.collins

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds