Other ways to interface with LinuxCNC

More
10 Sep 2023 16:49 #280410 by HerrNamenlos123
According to your other posts in the link, you got the BTS7960 to work nicely with Mesa cards, right? Is there also an example of an Ethernet Mesa card that will work for this? I am not a fan of the parallel port in general and would like to move away from it, since most PCs (even older ones) don't even have it anymore and Ethernet is a lot more future proof.

My machine currently has 3 axes, but I would like to have at least the possibility for 4 servo axes and a spindle, as well as some digital I/O and MPG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2023 16:52 #280412 by andypugh

That being said, yes, if there was a LinuxCNC compatible board that takes in 5V quadrature signals and puts out PWM and direction signals for the BTS7960, I would spend money on it. 

Ethernet: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...rt=p.price&order=ASC
PCI: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...rt=p.price&order=ASC
(I don't think that any of the PCIe or EPP parallel port cards are currently in stock, which is a shame as the 7i90 (EPP / SPI) card would do what you describe and is only $59)

Last time I bought a Mesa FPGA card I chose the 6i24 PCIe card, as it offers a lot of IO pins for the price. 

More
10 Sep 2023 21:10 #280433 by cornholio
If you’re a DIY guy have a look at Litehm2 project. I’m from Australia and the FPGA board was about $35 delivered. Uses the same drivers as a Mesa card. Has the same functionality as a Mesa card.
In saying all that from a “plug and play” perspective the Mesa cards are very very good value. Especially when you start costing what is takes to do voltage translation and the like.

More
10 Sep 2023 21:18 #280435 by andypugh

Especially when you start costing what is takes to do voltage translation and the like.

And the screw terminal blocks, those things add up fast. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
10 Sep 2023 22:49 #280440 by cornholio
Yeah, you're right on that one mate,especially the ones stack side by side like the ones Mesa uses. They are aren't that many suppliers for them.

More
28 Sep 2023 21:30 #281821 by AlexMagToast
Your idea reminds me a lot of the Klipper projekt in the 3D Printing Space. Do you know about it?

With Klipper the calculation is also done by a more potent CPU, such as on a Pi, then Data is send to an Arduino via USB, which then executes it.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds