Fireball v90 not responding to EMC2

More
20 Jul 2009 12:01 #596 by andyzammy
Hi all,

I tried solving this problem by asking on IRC, and although i was pointed in the right direction i wasn't able to find a solution to the problem. This time i thought i'd try the forum as it might be easier to explain via copy-pasting rather than descriptions of whats on my screen.

My machine (link: www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/ ) will not move at all when i try to home the axis. I was led to believe that it is a .hal file issue. The configuration files (link: www.probotix.com/cnc_downloads/ click on V90 EMC2 Configs) might not be right for my computer setup, and i don't really know enough to know how to correct them. I have installed a parallel pci card, and i need to edit the hal file to point emc2 to the address of the card. i also have an onboard parallel port i don't want to use).

sudo lspci -v gives me this:
00:0a.0 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology Unknown device 9865 (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284])
	Subsystem: Unknown device a000:2000
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
	I/O ports at bc00 [size=8]
	I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
	Memory at e8104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Memory at e8105000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2

The card i've installed is a Sweex PU005V2 if this is any help to someone. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks for your time,
Zammy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 13:23 #597 by mozmck
Hi,

This line near the top of the V90.hal file:

loadrt hal_parport cfg=0x378

is where the parallel port address is set. 0x378 is probably going to be your onboard port.
You need to change that to either 0xbc00 or 0xc000 as your lspci output shows.
I'd try the first address first and then the next if that does nothing.

Moses

More
20 Jul 2009 13:58 #598 by andyzammy
mozmck wrote:

Hi,

This line near the top of the V90.hal file:

loadrt hal_parport cfg=0x378

is where the parallel port address is set. 0x378 is probably going to be your onboard port.
You need to change that to either 0xbc00 or 0xc000 as your lspci output shows.
I'd try the first address first and then the next if that does nothing.

Moses

thanks very much mozmck! on friday i thought i had to append one of those addresses, not replace them. That solved it! At least partly.
When i try to home the axes now, the motor(s) jitter once - the axis sounds like its trying to move, but doesn't - it doesn't sound healthy at all.
Are there any ideas to what could be causing this?

More
20 Jul 2009 14:36 #599 by BigJohnT
If your using a lower voltage power supply you might need to lower the acceleration for each axis. It looks like you should be able to run the Stepconf Wizard and open the file up and change it from there. You can also change the parallel port address in the stepconf just leave off the Ox part.

John

More
06 Aug 2009 19:52 #687 by andyzammy
BigJohnT wrote:

If your using a lower voltage power supply you might need to lower the acceleration for each axis. It looks like you should be able to run the Stepconf Wizard and open the file up and change it from there. You can also change the parallel port address in the stepconf just leave off the Ox part.

John

It was another config issue. i must have slapped the keyboard when i was changing the address. i re-downloaded the config and the problem dissapeared. thanks for the help.

More
07 Aug 2009 11:51 #690 by BigJohnT
Glad to hear you got it working.

John

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds