Joypad problem, 'input.0.btn-trigger' does not exi

More
02 Apr 2011 10:56 #8391 by austin.mn
while testing I had a wired logitech gamepad hooked up and working, but I am using it on a large plasma table, so it wasn't practical. I bought a logitech wireless controller but I can't seem to get it working. All I get is:
postgui.hal:34: Pin 'input.0.btn-trigger' does not exist

Is there something simple that I am just not doing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 11:58 #8394 by BigJohnT
The might have different names on the wireless controller.

What model are you using? That would be nice to have on my plasma table as well.

John

More
02 Apr 2011 18:24 #8395 by austin.mn
The name of the controllers when I go to terminal and type:
$ less /proc/bus/input/devices

is quite similar for the two controllers:
Name="Logitech Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2"

Name="Logitech Logitech RumblePad 2"

I have tried using both RumblePad and Cordless as the name after -KRAL

If I put a different controller on completely, a sidewinder joystick, it says no input device matching "RumblePad" was found.

So it is seeing the wireless controller, it is just not allowing it to work.

More
02 Apr 2011 22:15 #8396 by austin.mn
Ok, got it... The name of the button isn't a number. The name of the actual button it couldn't find was 'trigger' on the wireless controller the name for that button was a, and of course I had to change the other button names to b and c.

I found this out using this little tutorial:
#There are other mappings - from the terminal window, type "halrun -I" then load the
#"loadusr -W hal_input Dual" command, then use "show" to see all the inputs. To check
#the mapping, enter "loadusr halmeter -s pin input.0.btn-base" (as an example). In order
#to see what button or axes does what, you will have to waggle the joystick and write
#it down. There's no other way.

which was found on this page:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Usi...ntrol_Spindle_Speeds

I can't wait to move the machine around from across the shop... and now that I have gained a little more knowledge I will be that much more dangerous... I think it will be a while before I hit ninja status, but I do believe I have hit "kid with a slingshot" status.

Woo- Hoo I am going out to the shop to play.

More
02 Apr 2011 23:54 #8399 by BigJohnT
Actually the easiest way is to just run Axis and use the Machine/Show Hal Configuration window and put all the pins in the watch window. Then start pressing buttons and moving sticks.

Too bad they are out of stock...

John

More
03 Apr 2011 00:21 #8400 by austin.mn
can I run Axis without having EMC running. when I clicked the penguin on the desktop it wouldn't let emc boot up and All I got was the error screen that let me know I about the missing button.

More
03 Apr 2011 00:36 #8401 by austin.mn
I picked the controller up used on ebay for $20

I knew the wired logitech worked fine, so I wanted to make sure and get the same brand. There are plenty of other ones on there, but I am happy with the one I got. I just did a quick test in the house and I can use it from any room in the house just fine. I don't think that there will be an issue in the shop.

More
03 Apr 2011 00:51 #8402 by BigJohnT
austin.mn wrote:

can I run Axis without having EMC running. when I clicked the penguin on the desktop it wouldn't let emc boot up and All I got was the error screen that let me know I about the missing button.

You would have to comment out the offending code or just create a new one and add the line to load the gamepad.

John

More
03 Apr 2011 16:50 #8416 by andypugh
I think you should be able to load a sample config (a p-port stepper one for simplicity) then load the gamepad in the "Show Hal Configuration" command entry box.
I haven't tried it though.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds