Changing from Mach 3 to Linux

More
09 Jan 2014 10:30 #42535 by woffler
I have had enough of Mach on my lathe ,and I am wanting to change !

I need to figure out what I need to make this happen ,I have a operating system with servo's that is up and running from DMM Tech. for a couple years now.

I have to many problems with Mach and threading and lot's of other crazy things from time to time ,my B/O is dependent so I can not change it and all I have for threading is a single impulse for threading .

I would like to add a encoder for the signal so I would need two parallel ports and a separate board for the encoder signal.

I see there are some pc boards from Mesa Elec. but I am not sure what to buy ,I wrote to them and never got an answer back.

If some one could offer some suggestions for me too look at so I can finally get rid of Mach I would appreciate it .

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2014 11:45 #42537 by Todd Zuercher
Not knowing a lot of details about your set up. You can hardly go wrong with Mesa's 5i25. Using it either by it's self as 2 parallel ports on steroids, or with it's very useful daughter cards, depending on your needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woffler

More
09 Jan 2014 15:39 - 09 Jan 2014 16:44 #42538 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Changing from Mach 3 to Linux
5i25 + 7i77 if you your drives can accept analog signals, this is my recomendation. It have also a lot of I/O (maybe not enough if you want a full button interface, but extending it is easy and the hardware exists).
I am using it on a lathe, and it have nothing compared with Mach3. It is harder to configure, but once made is made.

Please also consider the boards from Pico systems. Both Mesa hardware and Pico, have support here. "Unfortunately" I only know Mesa hardware.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 16:44 by emcPT. Reason: Added info about Pico systems

More
09 Jan 2014 16:48 #42539 by lelef
Replied by lelef on topic Changing from Mach 3 to Linux
probably you can do the work with only one LPT port,
for a lathe you have 2 axis an you have a single pulse signa from spindlel, for the encoder you need only 3 pins ,one ise the one you actually use for pulse input the other 2 should be the pins normally used for the 3rd axis that isn't used on lathe.
you can connect an encoder directly to the lLPT port ,only a +5v power sorce is needed ,you should also use a +5v from your pc

More
09 Jan 2014 17:14 #42540 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Changing from Mach 3 to Linux

probably you can do the work with only one LPT port,
for a lathe you have 2 axis an you have a single pulse signa from spindlel, for the encoder you need only 3 pins ,one ise the one you actually use for pulse input the other 2 should be the pins normally used for the 3rd axis that isn't used on lathe.
you can connect an encoder directly to the lLPT port ,only a +5v power sorce is needed ,you should also use a +5v from your pc

With servos, go for a full closed loop. No more guessing if steps were lost.
Even with the servos off, you can move the axis and see the DRO changing. This is way better, and worth the money spent. My opinion.

More
09 Jan 2014 19:35 #42544 by lelef
Replied by lelef on topic Changing from Mach 3 to Linux
that is right, but if he want to test the lathe threading with linuxcnc just connecting the encoder is the cheapest way

More
09 Jan 2014 23:38 #42548 by woffler
Hi ,everyone and thanks for all the reply's ,I am not use to getting this much help! it is wonderful !! .

The servo system I have uses step and direction signals not 10 volt + - I was new when I first put this together and I would do different now .

They do offer a new drive, analog now( 10 volt + - ) and I may change in the future but the cost is very hi , so I have to work with what I have .

I am going to try the exiting board method first just to get going , and order a Mesa board will it need a daughter board for the Encoder ?

Can someone give a recommendation for a encoder that works well ? with Linux Cnc .

Thank You for Your help

More
09 Jan 2014 23:46 - 09 Jan 2014 23:53 #42550 by BigJohnT
For step and direction drives the Mesa 5i25/7i76 combo with cable is hard to beat. In the future if you change to analog drives you only need to add the 7i77 daughter card. The 7i76 has an encoder input for the spindle built in.

Any differential encoder will work fine. That being said is your lathe spindle hollow? If you drive an encoder from the spindle with a toothed belt make sure you have a 1:1 ratio so the index pulse only happens once per revolution. I use encoders from Automation Direct.

Edit: BTW, I can convert your Mach configuration to LinuxCNC.

JT
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 23:53 by BigJohnT.

More
10 Jan 2014 00:23 #42553 by andypugh

I need to figure out what I need to make this happen ,I have a operating system with servo's that is up and running from DMM Tech. for a couple years now.

It should be a simple conversion process.

It might be possible to run the DMM drives under analogue voltage control, (0 to 5V) but I would not recommend it. The newer drives have a +/- 10V drive mode, but the older ones with 0-5V run at max speed with nothing connected, and that is bad enough that sticking with step/dir is to be preferred.

More
10 Jan 2014 03:46 #42562 by Todd Zuercher
Since the DMM tech servos don't use ordinary encoders. It's probably best to just stick with step dir. Either use a 7i76, or just the bare 5i25 with your current breakout board(s).

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds