Tool touch probe for turning center?

More
10 Aug 2014 11:32 #49635 by Zahnrad Kopf
Has anyone implemented a touch probe for tool offsetting/measuring in LCNC? I have a four way probe taken from one of the Mazaks. They replaced it with a new one because they thought it was bad, but it turned out to not be the probe. Service guy did not want to deal with uninstalling and reinstalling again, so left the new one in, and wrote it off, leaving me the old one.

So I'm looking at this thing and wondering why I don't use it in this turning center... Easy enough to build a little arm to swing down into place... Haven't quite worked out how to control it yet, though. I imagine I could get a small servo to drive it, or I could use a small stepper. ( but I already have the 7i77... )

Then there'd need to be some manner of routine/macro/subprogram to drive the probe arm down into position, wait for a signal that says it's in place and also prohibits running the machine, and then allow the user to probe a tool tip. Then another that runs the probe arm up for storage, and a signal that says it's safe to run the machine.

But I digress...

So is this something easily enough done? My gut says "yes" since it's done in the mill side, but wanted to ask those in the know.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2015 05:03 #61360 by garylogan
I made a tooleye for my lathe but there is no "arm".
It is a hollowed out aluminum block with 2 pushbuttons (and a LED).
Has dowel pin in side, that is how the machine chucks on and makes location of it is repeatable.
There is a program for each axis that updates the tool table upon touch-off. Push button just needs to be wired to an input. Added this to .hal file:
#######probe########
net probe parport.1.pin-02-in-not => motion.probe-input

Of course, the machine must have a general idea where the tooltip is, or it will crash.

X program:
g7 g18 g20 g59 g94
f30
#5323=-7.752
g0 x3.25 z-.3
g0 z-.95
g0 x2.65 f10
f1
g38.3 x2.459
g10 l10 p#5400 x2.459
g0 x3 f10
g0 z2 f20
m2
%

I have a short video of me running X prog and Z prog

and one from directly above the tooleye:

More
13 Aug 2015 19:45 #61381 by andypugh

I could use a small stepper. ( but I already have the 7i77... )

There is no reason that you can't run a stepper (at low step rates) through the 7i77 GPIO using the software step generator.
You won't be able to get more than 2.5 revs per second (150 rpm) but that's probably fine for the application.

So is this something easily enough done? My gut says "yes" since it's done in the mill side, but wanted to ask those in the know..

I see no reason why not. I am pretty sure that Gene has done it.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds