Is a Y axis possible on a lathe settup?

More
16 Apr 2018 20:56 #109143 by Ross77
So I have it working but a few glitches to iron out!

I used stepconf to generate an XYZ sepup and then added "Lathe = 1" to the display section

First issue - The manual control tab only shows X and Y so I cant control the Y axis.

Second - When I home the axis It shows the home symbols on the Rad,Dia and Y, seems to work ok and can move the Z axis in MDI without a "not homed warning". Is there a setting to change or live with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2018 12:22 #109485 by andypugh
Sorry for the late reply, I have been away.

Axis tries to be a bit clever and hides various controls depending on what it finds in the INI files.
Fortunately the main parts of Axis are written in Python which means that you can edit the file, restart LinuxCNC and the new behaviour will take effect with no need to recompile.

This code determines if you get views other than flat XZ:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.7/sr...scripts/axis.py#L487

This determines the jog key layout:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.7/sr...cripts/axis.py#L3100

And I think that this line here is the one that removes the Y-select radio button:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.7/sr...cripts/axis.py#L3453
The following user(s) said Thank You: jo_key, Ross77

More
23 Apr 2018 13:26 #109486 by Ross77
Thanks and No worries, Ive been working on other aspects of the lathe.

Since Im a complete noob and have no experience of linux how do I find the files to modify?

Is there a crash course in linux as Im have similar problems getting to onscreen keyboard to work in Gmoccapy?

More
23 Apr 2018 13:40 - 23 Apr 2018 13:49 #109487 by andypugh

Is there a crash course in linux as Im have similar problems getting to onscreen keyboard to work in Gmoccapy?

Sorry, for some reason I was assuming that you were using the Axis interface. The lonks I showed are of no relevance if you are using Gmoccapy.

To find the actual files for executables like Gmoccapy you can (probably) use the "which" command
which gmoccapy
www.lifewire.com/linux-which-command-4062680

if that doesn't work:
sudo find / -name axis.*
would find all files with a file-name starting "axis.". The sudo is so that you don't just get a full screen of "access not allowed" errors. There are other ways, but they seem excessively elaborate: stackoverflow.com/questions/762348/how-c...d-messages-from-find
Last edit: 23 Apr 2018 13:49 by andypugh.

More
23 Apr 2018 14:12 #109488 by Ross77
Im using both so it wasnt wasted. Priority is to get the lathe working with the Y axis and spindle indexing by using orient so still on a normal screen in the workshop.

Once thats all working I will try and get the nice bits like the touch screen and mpgs done.

Do i need to open a terminal in the linuxcnc folder or can I do it from the desktop?

More
23 Apr 2018 14:18 #109489 by andypugh

Do i need to open a terminal in the linuxcnc folder or can I do it from the desktop?

I think that the terminal normally opens "in" your home directory. The Desktop is a bit of an add-on as a concept in Linux.

I don't normally worry about where the terminal opens, I just open it then cd to where I am interested in.

More
23 Apr 2018 21:41 #109507 by Ross77

This code determines if you get views other than flat XZ:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.7/sr...scripts/axis.py#L487

Hi Andy
Thanks that helped get me on the track. I now have the y axis radio button and can jog Y from page up /down. I wasnt sure what to do with the link above! do I comment out the first line or alter the statements?

Even with those mods the home symbols are still on the wrong lines, minor but would be nice to resolve. Thanks again

More
23 Apr 2018 21:59 #109508 by andypugh
In the case of those lines you only need to comment them out.

When you say "home symbol" what exactly do you mean?

More
23 Apr 2018 22:05 #109509 by Ross77
When the axis is homed a little black and white circle * apears next to the axis label to show that it is homed.

In lathe mode it is double counting the X axis. Pc isnt on line so Cant screen grab at the moment

* Rad
*Diameter
* Y axis
Z axis

More
23 Apr 2018 22:30 #109512 by Ross77
Think I may have found the issue!

In Gmoccapy it looks like the Y axis is used to generate the Diameter. I assume Axis is the same. Not sure how best to solve it yet but probably hours of trial and error. :o)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds