just got Hardinge CHNC-I

More
06 Apr 2018 16:53 - 06 Apr 2018 16:54 #108517 by jmelson
My friend just got a Hardinge CHNC-I lathe. It had the General Numeric control. The X-Z servos appear to have been replaced with newer MTS brushless motors and servo amps. These amps will run of 240 V single phase. It still has the original Fanuc spindle drive (A06B-6044-H008). I haven't been able to get my head far enough inside the cabinet to check what spindle motor it has. But, searching the net, I'm guessing it is likely a Fanuc A06B-0707-B001 permanent magnet motor.

So, what are other CHNC users doing about driving the spindle motor? Provide 3-phase power to the Fanuc drive? Replace with a VFD that will run off single phase? Any recommendations?

Now, for pure lathe info, how do you thread the collet into the collet closer? There is a big button on the front of the headstock (which also seems to have an air cylinder). Is this a spindle index or is it used somehow to thread the collet in? Do you need to have air and activate the release collet valve to get the drawtube in range to thread into the collet?

We have ZERO manuals for this machine. Does anybody have a set of scanned manuals on the mechanicals and electrical drawings?

The left cabinet (as you face the rear of the machine) is entirely empty except for ONE bog PC board, that seems to be the overall electrical interface. It might save a lot of trouble to retain that board. I'm guessing all the limit and home switches, turret position sensor and such got through it.

Thanks much!

Jon
Last edit: 06 Apr 2018 16:54 by jmelson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2018 12:21 #108722 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic just got Hardinge CHNC-I

So, what are other CHNC users doing about driving the spindle motor? Provide 3-phase power to the Fanuc drive? Replace with a VFD that will run off single phase? Any recommendations?

A chap I know with a HXL uses a Control Techniques Unidrive as far as I know. But I also think he changed the motor as his had a big DC servo that was full of loose asbestos (as he found when taking it off)

More
10 Apr 2018 16:30 #108760 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic just got Hardinge CHNC-I
OK, we are pretty clear this is an AC induction motor. I was worried that it could have been a PM motor, but apparently not.

Thanks,

Jon

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds