Manual lathe conversions - X axis limit switch mounting ideas sought

More
22 Jan 2020 02:58 #155388 by mooser
During my mach - LinuxCNC update I'm looking to change how I originally did the x-axis limit switch. It worked but wasn't the greatest setup (or maybe it was?)
Anyway, looking for anyone who has done it for ideas, pictures would be great, on how they mounted the limit for the X-axis and dealt with the cabling maybe as well
Thanks in advance
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2020 07:50 #155407 by bbsr_5a
First use a Manuell switch not a Induktiv as Lathe got chips flying
and then as most output X+ as you can go
the invert option with a Pin and Switch to the inside will also do a Good working Machine
as there is more space inside to mount stuff and keep things Manuel workable

More
26 Jan 2020 20:50 #155847 by andypugh

Anyway, looking for anyone who has done it for ideas, pictures would be great, on how they mounted the limit for the X-axis and dealt with the cabling maybe as well

I have typically used a shielded inductive proximity switch, buried in the saddle and using a drilled hole in the cross-slide as a target (then use index homing for precision). Shielded proxes have the threaded barrel all the way to the end and can still work buried in metal. The others can't. Get one with a very short sensing distance.

It's not very clear, but the dark circle to the left of the ballscrew nut in this photo is my X proximity switch:
photos.app.goo.gl/bLL6Ybbvu1Z3vqeP8

It is well out of the way of any dirt or swarf, being under the cross slide. There are two holes as targets, one for each extreme of travel.

The wire is routed through the saddle. This did involve drilling a very strangely-angled hole:
photos.app.goo.gl/BzUyFh9YcHYHMaHZ6

More
26 Jan 2020 23:09 #155868 by mooser
LOL
pocket hole drilling into the saddle looks like a lot of fun :)

I like that prox switch, not sure if I have enough room there but it's giving me an idea of where I might be able to bury something. I've got to look and see what the smallest switch I can find is.
(I've got no encoder on the x so I can't use index homing)

When you say a short sensing distance... how short are you talking? 1mm? 5mm?

Thanks
M

More
27 Jan 2020 08:07 #155874 by andypugh

When you say a short sensing distance... how short are you talking? 1mm? 5mm?

Probably 1mm, then the target hole doesn't have to be very deep.

I think I used M8, but just found some M6 and M5 on eBay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-1MM-Inductiv...ptional/312862423629

Use PNP for Mesa 7i76, NPN for p-port. (with NPN you can power the sensor with 12V and the output is still compatible with 5V logic)

More
27 Jan 2020 08:44 #155879 by bbsr_5a
We used in School M5 BX and went over a Relay so all Swiches on the System share one Port
But on your setup 7i76 you will have so many ports to get etch signal its own pin

More
27 Jan 2020 14:17 #155907 by mooser
Ordered a pair this morning (will take awhile to get here)
I'll be using the 7i76 (already set-up with a dummy switch) and I've got 24vdc and 12vdc available on the control board.

In the mean-time I'm going to see if I can put my existing switch (roller) into the cavity beside the ballscrew using a hole/groove like you used.
Thanks for the link
M

More
27 Jan 2020 17:11 #155933 by Mike_Eitel
I use on my mill 4mm non srew type, u fixe them with a seperate screw. As they have a small magnetic field they have quite a sharp activation zone. I'm hapy with the repeatability and prefere them against larger models.

More
27 Jan 2020 17:21 #155934 by mooser
Do you have a picture or part number. I haven't really played much with these and like to experiment
M

More
27 Jan 2020 18:01 #155937 by Mike_Eitel

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds