Turning a 6mm sphere produces a bullet shape.

More
10 Dec 2021 18:16 #228791 by stoomraider
I am experiencing a problem trying to machine a 6mm dia ball. I am using a parting tool to machine front and back curves. The front curve is fine, but after moving tool to compensate for the tool width, and then continuing with the corrected arc, the result is a failure, ending up as a bullet shape. I have used ECAM (free on weekends) to produce the gcode, tried both the radius and IK methods, but same result. The back curve just does not come out correctly.

Anybody got any idea's. Is it my cheap eastern breakout board, or does LinuxCNC have an as yet undiscovered flaw?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2021 20:35 #228809 by andypugh
What sort of bullet? :-)

Do you mean that the rear curve is not machined at all?

What does the g-code preview look like on the screen?

More
10 Dec 2021 22:46 #228828 by Muzzer
The Fusion turning CAM is pretty good now. There are a few features still under development (such as adaptive roughing) but it's all free and the preview is pretty powerful.
knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caa...8F0A5FA28B5-htm.html

More
11 Dec 2021 04:26 #228845 by stoomraider
Hi,
The front is fine, the rear deformed, a parallel band then a sharp curve to the stem the ball is mounted on. However, I have detected some backlash in the X ballscrew, so I will add a backlash move, X 7, X6 at the quadrant point after tool compensation z move. The preview in LinuxCNC shows an elongated ball, circular front and back with a parallel portion, as expected.

(I have found that Mach3 and LinuxCNC don't always interpret the code the same way.)

More
11 Dec 2021 18:52 #228884 by stoomraider
The problem was found to be the result of a failing ballscrew nut on the X axis.
Thank's for your interest. I shall replace the nut.
I'm pleased to know LinuxCNC and the BoB are not at fault. I enjoy working with LinuxCNC
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jan 2022 23:28 #230808 by andypugh
For reference, here is a 1.5" sphere made with LinuxCNC and Fusion CAM:

photos.app.goo.gl/y73FJ1QQxTdkyhHu6

So the combination definitely works (the slight flat at the equator is deliberate, presumably for grease distribution)

More
05 Jan 2022 04:16 #230825 by stoomraider
Interesting job.
Backlash would seem to be my problem. I have implemented it now on LinuxCNC and Mach3. At the moment I have made enough satisfactory items. I am awaiting a carbide parting tool and holder as advertised in eBay and others.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds