Backlash Comp/ Stepper motor tuning question.

More
02 Jan 2022 20:37 - 02 Jan 2022 20:37 #230570 by PhilCNC
Hi, I have a Harrison M280 CNC lathe, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to tune the stepper motors while using backlash comp, specifically on the Z axis. Machine is using a 77Volt DC power supply, and has standard cast iron bed ways and an ACME leadscrew and half-nut with about 0.045" backlash. When I configure the machine using PNC CONF(no backlash comp), I'm able to get the machine to traverse at 60 inches per minute and an acceleration of 12 inches/second². The machine is able to handle at least 20% more than that for both acceleration and velocity. Stepper drive timing is adjusted to be much slower than specified on the drives in order to reduce chance of having a problem. I've tried a Gecko GR214V and DM860A drive and the result is the same. Maybe someone with experience on a ACME leadscrew based machine can help. My experience level is beginner. Currently I'm going to test inductance and whatnot to get a better idea of what I'm working with. ini file attached.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jan 2022 20:37 by PhilCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2022 22:48 #230586 by tommylight
Try adding this in hal for each joint, try Z first:
setp joint.N.backlash-vel 0.2

Long time so not sure, but i think backlash will move at full speed so might cause steppers to stall.
I thought there was an ini entry for it but i can not find it, so just for gigles try this in the ini file first:
backlash_velocity = 0.2
If it complains, try the first.

More
08 Jan 2022 20:11 #231160 by andypugh
There is no sign in the code of anything looking for BACKLASH_VEL in the code, so one could add it to the INI but it would have no effect unless you manually added:
setp joint.0.backlash_vel [JOINT_0]BACKLASH_VELOCITY
in the HAL file.
Which might be the tidiest way to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds